Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The luggage rack / base plate holder came a week ago from Amazon. The other stuff I ordered via Suzukicycles.com who farmed it out to a local dealer. Finally 12 days later it arrives, but I ordered 5 crush washers and there was just 1, taped to the oil filter package. E mailed them to send me the other 4, but this is not good customer service. More of a pita. :cautious:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Another 124 miles today, total at 445 now. Chilly at first because of a marine layer hiding the sun, but that did not last long. I was reading the Mom and see it says keep revs below 5,000 for first 500 miles, and below 7,500 for the next 500 miles. Then keep below 10,000 RPMs. I assume there is a rev limiter somewhere above that. First oil change at 600, seems like kind of a disconnect with the rev limits.

Got my spools on yesterday, and put it on the stand. Started removing stickers and stuff. Damm they use some extra sticky stuff on the frame stickers. Will probably leave the one with the VIN for now. It is partly behind a radiator hose, and I don't know I could get it all removed cleanly with the hose in the way.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I MAY have broken through those limits by 500-1000 rpm accidentally a couple of times… The offset just sees your break-in oil getting a bit higher RPM action before it’s changed. The bike really wakes up above 6k rpm. Hate to see what it’s like closer to 10k, but I tend to putt around in city/commuter mode most times.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm looking forward to winding it up some.
I like to get out in the mountains and back roads. You can wind it up without much worry if you pick your time and place right.
A lot of those back roads are lightly patrolled. And last time I got stopped a couple years ago, it was a female motocop on a big cop BMW. Asked if I was surprised to be stopped "by a girl". I said I did not know the Sheriffs Dept had female Moto officers. Let me go for 77 in a 55 with just a verbal warning.

I credit the power of greystache. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Just to expand on that. I was not buzzing along at 20+ over the limit. I was following a slowish truck and it was a 2 lane road. I was being good and dawdling along behind it, saw other vehicles back in my mirrors but not close. We got to a passing lane posted slower traffic keep right. Truck stayed left, I opened throttle moderately on the Monster and zipped by. Then got lit up.

She did not mention my passing on the right or the earplugs. I kind of wonder if she was hanging back there waiting to see if I would smoke the truck across the double yellow. Or maybe just patrolling. I noticed the bike had "Tucker" on the fender. I guess the bike is assigned only to them. Probably personalized for fit. Hopefully I do not encounter Deputy Tucker again. Riding is fun. :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Oh, my default is 5-10mph over the limit. In a CAR. That seems to be the speed where most cops might notice you, but won’t look twice. On a bike, let’s just say I have to exercise at least a little bit of patience. That’s where the 650 is a good match for me, as opposed to a 900+…

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Installed the Givi top case yesterday. It sits up kind of high, but I don't notice it all when riding.
Nice to have an easy place to put my water, phone, and stuff.
Did another 125 miles+ and the odo sits at 571. Caught a tiny spritzer of rain about 2 miles from the end of the ride. It's been baptized. Almost time for that first service. :)

Land vehicle Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Fifty miles ride today to Bear Divide via Little Tujunga Cyn, then back.
Odo at 621, drained oil. Thought I had everything I needed to change oil and filter.
Discovered none of my 3 filter wrenches fit.
Went to dealer, got change back from my $30 for a cap style wrench.
Fits tight. Added 2.9 liters oil because the bottles were liters.
Realized after I was supposed to add 2.9 quarts, so I am overfilled.
Crap. Well I still need to do the other 600 mile service things anyway.
Tomorrow. And maybe another day after that too. It's too hot.
Dripping sweat does not help when trying to work on stuff. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
3 hours and 116 miles today. Left at 9:45 AM, back at 12:45 and over 100 degrees. Stopped once for about 5 minutes.
Nice ride but hot and I am not going outside again today except to roll the trash cans out for pickup tomorrow.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Nicest day in a couple weeks or more here. It's been past 90 and some days 100 lately.
Today got up and the sun was hiding behind a marine layer. Go, Pacific Ocean! Temp in the 60's.
Put a long sleeve T on top the short sleeve one, then the mesh gear. Was cold the first few miles but broke out into the sun and at the halfway stop, time to take off the long sleeves. Left at 10 AM, home at 1 PM, temp was about 83. What a difference. Good ride.

We are getting ready to move soon, depending on selling our house. So time frame is not certain.
But I am thinking lately I am not going to ride these same roads many more times.
Which is good, I have been riding the same roads for 35 years.
One of these times hopefully soon, my post will be

Saddled up my new SV, and I rolled that power on.
And I rolled clean outta sight! Sorry Bob Seeger. :LOL:

One way trip to a new place.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
But I am thinking lately I am not going to ride these same roads many more times.
Which is good, I have been riding the same roads for 35 years.

One way trip to a new place.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.

T.S.Elliot : Little Gidding :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
A former coworker was supposed to bring down a gallon of maple syrup for me, but forgot when he met his wife at a crossroads an hour away when they brought her car down. Gave me an excuse for a nice ride up and back to get them! So the bike just passed the thousand mile mark, found out she hits 100MPH in 6th at 8K RPM, and that my backpack is fairly comfortable, and sits nicely on the back seat with two 1/2 gallon bottles in it!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.

I like exploring, even if it is not "where no man has gone before".

We'll know for the first time,
if we're evil or divine!
We're the last in line!

RJ Dio.
Wow! That brings back a memory. I got to see Ronnie as the lead singer with Black Sabbath years ago. What a voice !!!!!!

Reactions: VFR4Lee

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Weekday rides are the best. Almost no traffic on the back roads, and no fighting a crowd for breakfast at The Rock Inn. Way too much time gone by since I last went there.

Ordered a radiator guard, and should be here today.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Last Sunday I had a great day out up to Whitby Whistle Stop Cafe which is at the end of the North Yorkshire Heritage Steam railway.

Did 160 miles. Did an MPG check for the first time in ages and a nice surprise 58 MPG ( 48 USA) !!!

Not bad for a 23 year old Motorcycle :D

21 - 40 of 45 Posts