Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Done at the racetrak.
Front and Rear pilot powers for $260 after tax and they remove from bike and mount it up. One hell of a deal. These tires are phenomenal.
GP style shifting. Nice but confusing like hell. Bad thing is, remmember to torque everything down but not too hard. I lost the rod like thingy in the gear shift so hopefully the dealer has it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
lkm said:
Done at the racetrak. 
Front and Rear pilot powers for $260 after tax and they remove from bike and mount it up.  One hell of a deal.  These tires are phenomenal.
GP style shifting.  Nice but confusing like hell.  Bad thing is, remmember to torque everything down but not too hard.  I lost the rod like thingy in the gear shift so hopefully the dealer has it. 
blue thead lock... can't recommend it enough on that shifting rod (or any other bolt really)... I put woodcrafts on mine and shift rod fell loose on a test ride. Luckily it just fell from one end and was still hanging. Took it home and applied the threadlock and set it back and left it sit for few hours. Never had problem again.

gp shift rocks IMHO... makes more sense really when you consider your body position while up shifting and down shifting. I used to have it falling out of gear sometimes due to soft toed shoes but the reversed pattern fixed that and no more missed shifts or dropping out of gear... though it screws you up when you go to ride another bike without reveresed pattern and you have to really pay attention to your shifting
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
syntheticton said:
gp shift rocks IMHO... makes more sense really when you consider your body position while up shifting and down shifting. I used to have it falling out of gear sometimes due to soft toed shoes but the reversed pattern fixed that and no more missed shifts or dropping out of gear... though it screws you up when you go to ride another bike without reveresed pattern and you have to really pay attention to your shifting
2cents: I came to the conclusion that GP shift doesn't work for the street. I tried it for a month to give myself enough time to get semi-natural at it (I think I was 'adequate' within a couple weeks). In traffic there's just way more situations where you have to downshift through a couple gears in a hurry. And, there's not that many opportunities where upshifting needed to be done in such a hurry. The SV really doesn't have that power on tap to accelerate quick enough to run out of time to upshift anyway.
As far as body position - I didn't have a feel about that one way or another. Maybe you have better sensitivity to it than I.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
toddpnewton said:
2cents: I came to the conclusion that GP shift doesn't work for the street. I tried it for a month to give myself enough time to get semi-natural at it (I think I was 'adequate' within a couple weeks). In traffic there's just way more situations where you have to downshift through a couple gears in a hurry. And, there's not that many opportunities where upshifting needed to be done in such a hurry. The SV really doesn't have that power on tap to accelerate quick enough to run out of time to upshift anyway.
As far as body position - I didn't have a feel about that one way or another. Maybe you have better sensitivity to it than I.
well, 95% of my riding time I don't downshift more than one gear at a time as suggested by MSF so yeah... that's never a concern for me. And, if you change your gear ratio as in dropping tooth on front or adding to rear... you will find yourself in upper rpm's quicker than you think unless you are a mild manner rider which I am not. So it all depends on your riding style really. I just know I had many shifts that didn't go fully into gear even when I was just putting around town thanks to soft toes on shoes and this never happens on downshifts for me now with GP shifting because if I downshift, I am more upright and if I am upshifting I find myself more forward on the bars even if I am not tucking behind the shield and just taking a cruise. So, I don't think its a street vs. track thing... its a rider preference. I just prefer the GP having done it both ways... and I understand this is not your preference but I think there a at least a few others who will agree that GP shift works better for them also. As the old saying goes "to each his own" ;)
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
syntheticton said:
if you change your gear ratio as in dropping tooth on front or adding to rear... you will find yourself in upper rpm's quicker than you think unless you are a mild manner rider which I am not.
I'm no mild mannered rider ;D.
I hadn't thought about the gear change ratio - very good point. I did that on my previous bike and it worked really well. I've thought about it for my SV, but I'm not sure I want to shift that much - having a Vtwin has made me lazy. Did you do this?

I actually did like the GP shift, but I found it impractical for my purposes. I ride my bike for fun AND commute. Out on the road it was great. In traffic it seemed tedious.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
toddpnewton said:
I'm no mild mannered rider ;D.
I hadn't thought about the gear change ratio - very good point. I did that on my previous bike and it worked really well. I've thought about it for my SV, but I'm not sure I want to shift that much - having a Vtwin has made me lazy. Did you do this?

I actually did like the GP shift,  but I found it impractical for my purposes. I ride my bike for fun AND commute. Out on the road it was great. In traffic it seemed tedious.
yeah... I went to a 14/44 at one point... was kinda fun on acceleration and made 6th gear more useable... especially when I rode with saddlebags on trips... hardly used 6th before except when I was over 60 or 70 so I liked it but I found myself looking for 7th gear many times when hitting the back roads and highway so I am going back to 15/45. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ha, you look for seventh gear too. I thought i was the only one that had it bad.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top