21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Holy old thread, Batman!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have just the opposite problem. I guess people in Texas really are more friendly than other people. I can be leaned over hard in a turn when some dyna glide rider comes crawling along waving away like a beauty queen in a parade.

Every Harley rider I see waves at me. There are an awful lot of Harley riders on the road. I spend a good quarter of my ride waving like the damn pecan queen.

Sport bike riders, however, rarely give me a second look. My bike's nakedness must intimidate them. ::)

·
Registered
20 Posts
In the hills, I wave to pretty much everyone. About 3 in 4 will wave back. As for those that don't, I try not to think too much about it - lots of legitamate reason why they didn't. My favorite is waving while in a turn. It's a good test of how I'm weighting my bars.

Going back in time to the first wave I got... I had around a hundred miles on the clock on my first bike. I was just doing laps around the nearby lake and some other streets never getting too far from home. It was my second week with the bike and I was loving every minute of it. I had read about waving to other motos but for some reason hadn't seen any out on the streets when I was riding. I guess doing laps in a residential area isn't fun for other people. I was almost home and I saw another bike headed in the opposite direction, so I perk up like a dog when he hears someone at the front door. I look at him and think, "Come on. Wave. I'm part of the club. Really, I am." His tinted visor looked at me, and he does it. Not just any wave. He gave me the pea-shooters.

I'm going ballistic in my helmet. I try to wave but realize that I've never had less than two hands on the bars while moving. By the time I get my wimpy wave off, he passed by. So I started to practice waving, especially the pea-shooter wave.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I waved at everyone on two wheels when on my scooter, assuming I could. In most cases, I got a wave back too. Same goes for cycling, there seems to be "cults" that either support or don't support waving. When I'm on my bicycle I always at least try to nod at the motorcyclists, but rarely get a wave back. Have gotten a few waves from Harley guys while on my bicycle though, which I didn't ever think would happen. :) Like others said, two wheels is two wheels--we're all part of the bigger club regardless of what we ride....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Love this topic

I live in northeast Pennsylvania where harley's rule. Sportbikes run 2nd and are perceived to be ridden by "kids" and metric cruisers make up only 10-15% bikes on the road.

My observations, having spent a lot of time in the saddle waving at every bike passing by (from my big metric cruiser harley look-a-like, a Gold Wing and from the SV):

1) Harleys ; There are 3 types of HD dudes
- the gangs or most commonly, the bad biker look alikes - never wave at anyone - not cool
- the posers - most likely to wave if they think you're on a harley
- new owners, who like most new motorcycle riders wave at anyone

2) Sportbike riders - will wave at anyone who waves at them- looking surprised when anyone not on a sportbike waves

3) Metric cruisers - voted most likely to wave

Of course, these are broad generalities... seemingly defined by which bike I'm riding.

As to spectators and standerbuys, I get the most nasty looks when I'm on the SV. My loud metric cruiser got more curb appeal in this Harley Haven :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
ok i just gotta ask the stupid question.....wtf is the "pea-shooters" :-\

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
everybody waves at me, even people in cages, in the winter, it's a hand out the window with a thumbs up.
I also get a lot of people flashing lights, I waive at all my neighbors as I ride to work,

all my life, peple have waived at me, and I have waived back, many times there are people I wave to first, bike or cage, it's just somehting people do i this area

21 - 28 of 28 Posts