Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've been lurking around this forum for what looks to be a few years now not really saying much. I'm an avid motorcyclist, but not really a big SV enthusiast. Don't get me wrong I love the SV and I've had mine for over 2 years now. Although somehow its always been the girl that's with you because you can't get the girl that you want. In the past 5 years I've had 15 or so different motorcycles. Everything from Supermotos to Ducatis (2 in fact). I've always been lusting for that perfect balance of cool, sportiness, and useability. However, one thing has always stayed constant. My SV. When I had a broken Ducati 748 and a DRZ400sm that wasn't quite right, my SV was always there.

I've started to come to terms with my bike problem. I haven't found that one and perfect bike that will do everything for me. And I'm beginning to get the itch really hard again. (I've already fought it off two or three times in the past year.) So maybe its time for the next best thing. Upgrading the SV.

I don't mean mine though. Its been through the ringer enough and its time for a little more reliable charging system and fuel injection.......

Sorry for the short novel but I figured it was best to give you guys some background and where I'm coming from with all of this. Right now I have a 2001 SV650 that is still relatively low mileage and has always been my "beater" bike. I've taken it to track days, beat the crap out of it in the mountains, dropped it, and still commute on it. The specs:

2001 SV (Non S)
14,500 miles
2005 gsxr1000 front end
636 shock
Powdercoated black wheels
Vesrah RJL brake pads
Ducati Streetfighter handlebars and ProTaper clamps
Full Yoshimura exhaust
Tank shimmed
Rejetted and tuned

after 3 trackdays and 5k miles on the PP 2ct's the tires have been scalloped, Shredded on the edges, and squared off street riding. So it needs new tires...... and the battery is dead. These two things are what really sparked this. Not that they aren't easy fixes but I'm just ready for something new. I hope.

My plan is to buy a 2nd gen SV and swap over the front ends and some of the other parts I would really like to keep. Mostly just the front end. My question is can I do this? Do you guys think I should just get something else? Do you know of anyone selling an UNO TL1000? Do you know a psychiatrist?

I'm mostly kidding, I just want to see what you guys (SV experts) think about the swaparoo or getting a whole new bike. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
With 15 bikes in 5 yrs, I don't think another opinion will mean much. Have you tried a Triumph? Perhaps a Street Triple. You seem to get bored rather easily. I tend to keep bikes longer before going for a change. I had my '01 for nine years. Fun bike, just wanted something else, like you. I don't look for the perfect fit, just variety.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're never going to be truly happy with any motorbike. Just keep buying and selling bikes. It's what you do.
Thats what my girlfriend says.

With 15 bikes in 5 yrs, I don't think another opinion will mean much. Have you tried a Triumph? Perhaps a Street Triple. You seem to get bored rather easily. I tend to keep bikes longer before going for a change. I had my '01 for nine years. Fun bike, just wanted something else, like you. I don't look for the perfect fit, just variety.
I do enjoy changing it up, but over the years of riding lots of different things I have refined my taste a bit and Kind of know more of what I'm looking for. So far I've found a few things but there is always some catch 22. I.E. Bikes that I like.

Ducati Sport Classic = Plastic gas tanks that come off and a manufacturer that won't stand behind their product. Also my friends are legally obligated to slap me if I buy another Duc.

Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe racer = More of a toy than anything. 38 HP.

Tuono = I have a RSV Mille R already. Its a great motor but horribly uncomfortable and a terrible everyday bike. And unfortunately the Tuono just doesn't suit my taste lookswise.

Suzuki TL1000 UNO = Embodies everything I want in a bike. They just don't exist anymore.

SV1000 = Looks just like an SV but destroys everything the 650 has going for it. Small nimble with good geometry. The 1000 is kind of long a lazy.

Buells = These technically check all the boxes for me I just, for some reason, have a really hard time getting behind the idea of owning a Buell. I'm considering it more and more everyday though.

Speed/Street triple = I have lots of experience with these but they just don't do it for me. I don't know why. I also think that the second hand market for these is higher than what it should be. They're good, but are they 2.5 times better than the SV?

Modding a 2nd gen SV = Lots of work...... again. will I truly be happy with a bike that shares 70% of its DNA with the bike I'm coming from.

Ideas I like.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/ducati-798-desmosport-r-concept-oberdan-bezzi/

http://www.luehdorf.de/UNO TL 1000 S.html

http://www.t5net.de/speedtriple/uno-tl1000.jpg

Keep the SV and get a Tuono 1000 R.
See above

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
You are never going to find the perfect bike. It takes a combination to meet every need. That being said, changing bikes and trying new ones is fun. Spend time out on some demo rides and try as many different bikes as you can. I currently have a new GSXR 750 and love everything about it. It is just not good for long distance riding. I dont do long distances very often so it is not an issue for me. I will keep this for a few years and then try something different. I think that is half the fun of riding.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Way off topic but I would like some info on your Ducati Streetfighter handlebars and ProTaper clamps. If you would PM me I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
You may have hit upon the answer when you mentioned lust. There is a huge difference between lust on the one hand and love and appreciation (liking) on the other. It is almost impossible to have a good relationship (bike or human) based on lust. When you actually learn to like motorcycles, you will find a wide variety that are wonderful companions. Until then, you will be stuck with a succession of unsatisfying one-night stands.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'd say keep your 1st Gen and get something different... The things you've done to the 1st gen makes up 90% of what people want to do with their SV when they sign up on the SVR forums- it'd be ashame to lose all that.

Are you against the I4's? Maybe check out a 636? Road my buddies a few weeks ago and it's quite a nice bike...

Can't say I like kawi much but it's something.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On a philosophical note. It's not that I'm unhappy with my motorcycles it's just that I feel out of touch with what manufacturers are coming out with. If anyone has been following intermot almost all of the manufacturers are coming out with nothing but hyper sport bikes and pseudo sport bikes. Why can't Suzuki build a not plasticky bike with some useable torque for everyday riding. A crossplane gsxr 600 maybe. A triumph thruxton that isn't British with more than 50hp. I feel that the market is appealing more to squidly highway rides more than to people like us.

By the way this is strictly a street bike thing. I sold my drz not to long ago and now that post summer prices are coming down there are some really good deals on dr650's. I don't have this problem with those.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts