Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's the question...

Tomorrow it's supposed to be a high of 54*F with a 30% chance of rain here in south central PA.

I was wondering what everyone thinks.

Should I go riding most of the day? I have several hours between my Tuesday classes.

Or

Play it safe and not chance getting wet.


Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,965 Posts
has it rained any there yet??

man, if it's like around here, the roads STILL have a lot of crap[salt/cinders/etc] i'd wait till the rain cleans the road a little...

you probably have the same weather we do here in Cincy... meaning, the weather people here[anywhere, really] haven't been close on their %'s for rain, etc, so, yeah, go for it!!


why don't ya' want to get wet?? no rain gear??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,910 Posts
30% means no rain here for all intents and purposes. If it's a work day, I've got so if it's not raining in the morning, I'll ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,574 Posts
I'm planning on riding to school Wednesday. I think it's supposed to be in the low 60's, and not supposed to rain until later in the evening. Only one class and it's 9-11, so no rain to worry about. School is in Reading, PA.


I regret not riding today even. I got out of my car at school and was suprised how warm it felt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,174 Posts
I ride in the rain. People assume nobody rides in the rain. I guess they believe that motorcycles melt as do humans who ride them, so when I show up they're surprised I'm still alive.

??? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,872 Posts
i'd step up and ride. i rode through a total downpour on my old yamaha. got completely soaked, as i was not in rain gear and was just getting out of school for the day. enjoy it while you can!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,691 Posts
That's the question...

Tomorrow it's supposed to be a high of 54*F with a 30% chance of rain here in south central PA.

I was wondering what everyone thinks.
Okay so you're are doing it wrong. 30% chance of rain really means that 30% of the area you live in could has a 30% chance of rain. OR 70% of the areas have a 70% chance of being perfectly normal.

I live in Florida and unless we get to 50% or higher chance or rain I'm gonna risk the risk the ride. Even more so if the weather is fine on my way to work. I'm not as concerned with getting wet on my way back home after work.

:)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,499 Posts
I'd worry more about the crap on the roads here in PA than a little rain. Riding in the rain is almost fun with the right gear. Riding on winter roads covered in loose salt, ash, etc., is not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,244 Posts
I wouldn't. 54F and being wet sucks, especially if you don't have proper rain gear and electric warmth.

Not to mention the salt and crap all over the roads still.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I drove around in my car on the roads I'll be taking tomorrow. They're all actually pretty clean. No loose gravel or salt.

I went out Sunday. It was gorgeous here except for the wind which made the ride fun.

Ohh and I don't have any rain gear yet. I play on getting some for the spring though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,574 Posts
I went out last weekend and ended up on roads that still had the 1 inch deep rows of snow in the center of the lane. I just kept in the part of the lane where cars' tires go. I did the same thing this past weekend, there wasn't snow but I just stayed in the left and right "third" of the lane where the tires go, and it was clear. Don't get into the shoulder.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah Shippensburg, PA has had a very mild winter so far. I the most snow we've had so far was about 6".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,574 Posts
The most we got at once was about 3.5"... a few little storms that just turn stuff white have swept through, 1/4" most. Every year before this one I've hope for alot of snow, now I just want spring to get here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
655 Posts
i live just north of pittsburgh....i plan on riding tomorrow and its supposed to be over 60 on wed.......around here they are calling for a few showers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
That's the question...

Tomorrow it's supposed to be a high of 54*F with a 30% chance of rain here in south central PA.

I was wondering what everyone thinks.

Should I go riding most of the day? I have several hours between my Tuesday classes.

Or

Play it safe and not chance getting wet.


Thanks in advance.
If your have to ask someone elses opinion on this type of question you better not go. The less you plan, usually, the funner and more adventurous the trip ends up being. If you play it safe you'll never do anything overly exciting on your bike. Just get out there and do it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If your have to ask someone elses opinion on this type of question you better not go. The less you plan, usually, the funner and more adventurous the trip ends up being. If you play it safe you'll never do anything overly exciting on your bike. Just get out there and do it.
I was just trying to get a feel for what everyone else would be doing. More than likely I will be riding most of the day away tomorrow.

Every year before this one I've hope for alot of snow, now I just want spring to get here.
Same here. I just want to ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,937 Posts
Ride. Its just water
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I use the 40/40/40 rule

If it's above 40 degrees, less than 40% chance of rain, and less than 40mph of wind, then I go ride!

(texas)
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top