Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I just want to get other riders' opinions on riding (in daylight that is) with the high beam on. Do you or don't you? If so, why and why not?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
always i guess i think that it will make me more visible dunno if I'm right or wrong but I'm gonna keep doing it regardless

G

·
I HB in daylight hours, turn it off as the sun touches the horizon.
I used to only do it when someone cut me off or otherwise nearly tagged me and wound u pin front. Then it became sort of a contest, where I would see if I could get through the day without it happening. Those days became fewer and farther between, and the time of day I had to flick 'em on got earlier and earlier - (damn Californians leaking over their border and screwing up traffic).

Now I just keep them on. I think it works. People start to drift in and the beam crosses their mirror; they either speed up (sensible)or jerk back (morons) when they get in me lane.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Only during the day.

I've personally noticed when other cars/bikes have their high beams on I can have a harder time gauging how close/far they are.

·
Registered
935 Posts
No highbeam for me, I hate being burned in my mirrors when guys I ride with highbeam. Also its super bright (thats the point I know) and can be distracting for drivers of other vehicles, as I know it is for me when im driving my truck and see a bike with the high beams blazing. Personal choice, none for me.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
I've ridden with mine on high since an Orlando moto cop told me it was a good idea after he saw me almost get hit. Your high beam aims right at the windscreen of on coming cars. And if someone really pisses me off or I'm on one of the more dangerous roads in Orlando I'll put my high beam on at night too. Nothing feels better then having that beam shining right thru their rear glass into the rear view mirror so they are blinded. f**kers!!!!

:)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Both :)

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Always high beam during daylight hours. I want to up my odds in every way possible.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, I had no idea I'd get so many responses!! I ask for several reasons. One, when I took my MSF class I asked the instructors this exact question. They actually didn't have an opinion one way or the other. One instructor felt you lose the ability to "flash" people should you need to, but at the same time, you can't miss a high beam during the day. Second, the debate for "flashing" to announce your presence can go both ways. By this I mean you never know how the cager is going to interpret it. On one hand they could be thinking, "Oh, okay, he's communicating that he WANTS me to turn left." On the flip side, they may actually get it right and realize you ARE announcing your presence and they should NOT turn. At this point, it boils down to your confidence in the abilities of other drivers. Personally, I don't trust the guy that's been working a long day and just wants to get home. We all get tired after a long day, so by no means am I absolving myself from human error, but nothings gets one's attention more that a big, fat, bright light!! While I appreciate the need to "flash," I'll take my chances and just leave it on all the time.....at least during the day...

G

·
You can still 'flash' them, just toggle the beam back and forth. It will get their attention before they run you over. ;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts