Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to buy a niced used SV as a returning rider after 8 years without a bike.   I really like the baby ducati/streetfighter look of the first gen SV's and would like to do some 'standard' mods like dual headlights/clipons/highmount/etc without going all out.   I probably will pick up a Triumph ST in a couple years if I stay with the hobby this time(and keep the SV).    I have found a few very nice bone stock SV's ready to violate  ;D locally, including a couple black ones  :eek:    I want a simple point-and-shoot to get back in the swing for now, and go high-end sports tourer later(the triumph is friggin knockout sexy)

My main question is, is it THAT big a deal to have the fairing??  I really dont even drive that much living only a few miles from work(twisties all the way with no traffic too!) and most of the group get-togethers around here are relatively short hops to the twisties, and lots and lots of traffic most of the time on the slabs anyway.   I figure I could just get a nice windscreen i could remove or install quickly if I get the wild 'hair' to go atlantic city or something.   Nakie owners, how bad is it for say highway speeds for maybe an hour at the most??? My last bike was an FZR so it had a fairing, and it wasnt THAT effective.

·
Registered
430 Posts
for an hour is no big deal at all. I have taken two 2,500 mile trips with my naked. some parts where the wind was whipping really sucked. the longer and more boring the freeway the more a screen would be nice. I often am much colder than others with screens. I just make sure I bundle up on mornings and off season rides.

on the track not having a screen on a 1 mile straight sucks! with a head wind at my last trackday it was brutal...once on the infeild section it is no prob though.

long story short 95% of the time I like no screen.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
by the time I started finishing my post, I think I am selling myself on one. My first stop for a bike about 2 weeks ago was to check out a duc 620Monster, and after looking at superbikes, cruisers, and dual-sports I am seeming to end up right where I started. The 1st gen looks sexy naked, and looks so damn simple its elegant. Plus the price is barely double what my gear cost to boot ;D

I mean how simple a clean slate is this:

·
Registered
667 Posts
I would shell out the extra for an S because used it won't be much more, if any.That way, you can ride with the fairing, and if you want to go naked, it is not all that hard to take the fairing off and find CHEAP used parts like the headlight and bracket off of eBay. It is much harder to go from naked to S. Trust me.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Nakie!

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man this is driving me nuts, every want ad says 'must sell' 'having baby' 'bought new bike' whatever and NO ONE ANSWERS THEIR EMAILS OR PHONE! :-[ Its been two days of this and my butt hurts because there is $8200 in my wallet. Cripes. I was ready to buy a new bike cash and could of done it last weekend, I cant get hold of any of the 'must sell' used ones :mad:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I ride a 1st gen naked and I put on a removable wind screen, which I rarely use except in the winter.  I have a couple of other bikes, one of which is faired, and I actually prefer the naked except for all-day rides.  I have a very well fitting Arai helmet that doesn't buffet, and after a while, you get used to leaning slightly into the wind in my experience.  So the only real issue is really gusty headwinds, which aren't that common an occurance where I ride.

There are other things about the naked that I like over the S model.  One is the seating position.  More upright, which I appreciate in my mid-forties.  Another is the handle bar.  I like a bar much better than clip-ons, and I own and ride both.  A wider bar makes it even easier to flick the bike through the curves.  Lastly, I never liked the looks of a half-faired bike.  But that's just me.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A vote for naked. For me, it's just the way a bike should be; less is more.

:)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My moto license expired years ago(thought i would give boats a try :p )   I just got mah permit again.   I rode an svs not too long ago and liked it alot even for a short hop, just seemed fun! not boy-racer or anything, like a MO-TO-CY-CLE, which seems so hard to find these days.  Everything seems to have to have a 'theme' by design these days.   Considering how rediculous a carbed Honda 599 $ wise,  is or how weird V-stroms and fazers look, the sv just feels GOOD, either way.  I sat on a few SV's in the dealer and thought if felt fun just sitting there, almost like a dirtbike.  I think its going to come down to whats available.  One of the local dealers still has a still brand new 03 copper SVS,  I may have to see whats up with it this week. ;) believe it or not, I would of bought a new 05 weeks ago except I can not STAND the black frame, what was Suzuki thinking??

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I have begun to get an affection for the 05 SVS in yellow despite the black frame. I actually went to a couple dealers today and could not find a salesperson worth buying from :mad: I met a very nice lady salesperson a few weeks back and will stop by when shes working and buy an 05 yellow SVS, prolly first thing next week ;D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Naked with a Givi mini-fairing is my pref...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Naked bikes are where it's at. Something timeless about them that appeals to everybody. Even the Harley cats around KC give me some respect 'cause they don't quite know what it is :D Sportbike, Crusier ???

I don't think most ppl have a clue what a "standard" is.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I love my nakkid with givi screen, especially during summer. The givi relieves the majority of the pressure but still allows you to feel the wind. My SV with the Givi provides better air flow (ie less noise and no buffeting) then the fancy adjustable setup on my BMW R1200GS. I avoid super slabs so you need to deciede where you will do most of your riding.

Also, if you are planning on purchasing an ST bike like the Triumph in a few years the nakkid SV would be a great compliment bike for twisties and/or track.

Either way, both the nakkid and faired SV's rock, cant go wrong.

My .02 cents

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have a screen I put on when I am going to go over an hour on the slab. Otherwise naked is the way to go for me. I really like the 1st gen naked lines. Under 70 mph the wind has never been an issue. Over 70 mph, the wind is not unbearable. Get what you like. If you pick wrong, try again. ;D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts