Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
....that is the question.

I'm looking at a used 09 Gladius, $4800.00, 1500 miles. A few accessories, not much. Looks to be a nice bike.

Now, here's the deal..I've not been on a bike since I got my license about 20 years ago! Just never did anything with it.

I'm undecided whether to look for something smaller, like a 250cc machine, or jump on the Gladius. I'm mid-fifties now, so there isn't going to be much hot-dogging or corner carving. Just want a ride, maybe for a 30-mile commute to work.

Opinions?

Pav

·
Registered
664 Posts
You will be a glad bike with a glady :)

Seriously though. You will get into riding fairly quick, and it's not unlikely that with a 250cc you would soon feel the need for a bit more power. Although different strokes for different folks. I don't think you have to worry about the Gladius power delivery ever being to aggressive. It's an easy bike to ride, always leaves me with a smile after riding mine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought a Gladius at the end of April of this year. It is my first bike as well, and I've been very happy with it. Mine had about 3200-3300 miles on it when I got it, and I've put about 1000 or so on it. I was happy that I went with the Gladius instead of a smaller machine (I too considered some 250s, but I commute 25 miles each way on the highway). It is light enough, and easy to handle but has plenty of power for the foreseeable future.

I paid about 4800 for mine; that seems to be the going rate for a used low mileage bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's a great bike for what you want it for.

Question tho.... Why does the 09 Galdie only have 1000-1500 miles? Like Mine only has 14,000miles, but that's cause I could only ride it 3months out of the year due to college....

So what was this owner doing? Starting it up and reving it in his driveway? Generally, I like high mileage vehicles as long as there are maintenance records. It lets me know... "hey, this guy actually rode this bike & he did long rides. He didn't just start it up cold and hot dog it."

But idk, that could just be because I had bad luck with a low mileage Kawasaki a long time ago.

Anyways, you'll be happy with this bike for the purposes you've described. Find a good parking lot without sand to practice in. It will help tons! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LifeIsGood169: The advert said that 'they were not cut out to be a rider'...

About the only other concern I have is that the comfort of the seat seems to always be one thing that is mentioned in various posts and reviews. Maybe on short jaunts not a big issue.

Pav

·
Premium Member
322 Posts

About the only other concern I have is that the comfort of the seat seems to always be one thing that is mentioned in various posts and reviews. Maybe on short jaunts not a big issue.

Pav
I've only gotten serious saddle a$$ after more than an hour on the bike. If I get off and walk around a little and let the blood flow back in it's all good again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Gladius is a great first bike that has plenty of capability that will keep you entertained when/if you grow as a rider. When you first get on one it's not intimidating at all. If you decide to explore the performance capabilties, it has more that you might expect.

A 250 is fine for a first bike, but after a month or two you would be wishing for something more.

I've done plenty of 500 mile days with no complaints about the stock seat.

If the bike has been sitting for a few years it could have issues with the battery or fuel injection system. Battery is no big deal. The FI is OK as long as has a steady idle and accelerates smoothly.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Bike wouldn't be bad for you

Just take the MSF class

If you haven't ridden a bicycle in a long time, go ride one, motions are the same

250s are great bikes, I've had one and miss it. Many of my friends have thousands of miles on their 250s.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Last summer when I took the MSF course to get my license was my first time ever on a motorcycle. A week later I bought the gladius and have logged 6,300 miles of joy since. I think it is a much better bike to start with than the 250's because it is still fun to ride as your skills grow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Registered
94 Posts
No Glad here, but after taking the MSF course in May I purchased an SV650S as my first bike.
I had only minimal experience on dirt bikes, so I consider the MSF class my first time really on a motorcycle.
I too, looked at some 250s, but in the end knew that as a "quick learner" I'd soon be wanting more.
The mid-weight twin was a great decision. Plenty of fun for me, and a forgiving enough bike that I've had a LOT of great riding on it.
Just 4 months in, and about 4k miles logged.
Go for it, and enjoy the hell out of it.
I'd also recommend taking the MSF course again - you'll learn a lot, even as experienced as you are.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
22 Posts

Pav
Yah i'm just trying to look out for you.

Maybe play a little chicken with the guy like asking, Do you mind if we take it to a dealer to get it looked over / inspected? And offer to pay the inspection cost. Or maybe pay offer to pay 1/2 the cost to get it serviced & the other 1/2 gets taken out of the price? Not saying you have to actually do it, but maybe mentioning something like that could help you gauge the bike and the seller more.

I mean I've never had a problem with a Suzuki or Honda even pretty abused ones. & the SV650 is known for being pretty darn reliable. So odds are it'll be ok. I'm just saying, lots of times "low mileage" isn't as great of a deal as it people make it out to be.

But I did buy an 06 Kawasaki Ninja once with less than 1000 miles. Guy said he didn't ride it much. & after like 100miles I had snapped the 2 shifting rods and a couple of gear dogs. That guy had clearly abused it & it was really hard to tell. Cause I didn't even notice until i heard a bunch of clunking and there was no such thing as 1st gear anymore. :( When I went to fix it, the dealer told me all the tolerances on the transmission were wrong & he'd never seen it before. They sent the parts out to Kawasaki, but Kawasaki's reply was, "there is no way we are paying for this... stop pullling so many damn wheelies." Win some, lose some I guess.

Seat comfort is good in the beginning. I had no problem doing 300mile rides. But I'm 22. Also, after 13k-14k miles... the seat is trash. It can make my legs go numb now because I think it was designed for girls & it hits really weird pressure points in my butt unlike other seats. It's still ok for about 70-100miles or 1hr to 1.5hrs (whichever comes first).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts