Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of getting rid of the sv and the TL1000R has crossed my mind. I know they are heavier and not as nimble, but has anyone here ridden one that can give an assessment? Thanks.

·
Thumper Squad
3,279 Posts
Several people.....I'm sure they'll chime in........

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
terrible.

amazing motors. terrible chassis.

rc51 better in every possible way.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
I've been thinking of getting rid of the sv and the TL1000R has crossed my mind. I know they are heavier and not as nimble, but has anyone here ridden one that can give an assessment? Thanks.

Um, yeah. They're heavier and not as nimble. :)

Seriously, they're big heavy pigs. Easily my least favorite big sport twin.
As a pure street bike, the SV1000 and Honda Super Hawk are the 2 I would look at.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Holds the insurance company record for most-crashed streetbike.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Loved my TL and wish I could have kept it. I found a European TL1000R blog back in 2000 with a very successful daily driver/weekend track bike. I thought the TL was great, but that page really made a difference...SV was disappointing to me in comparison. I think about my TL much more than my SV.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Loved my TL and wish I could have kept it. I found a European TL1000R blog back in 2000 with a very successful daily driver/weekend track bike. I thought the TL was great, but that page really made a difference...SV was disappointing to me in comparison. I think about my TL much more than my SV.
You're the only one in this thread it seems that hasn't believed the myths and legends. I've sorted through tons of rider feedback and reviews and have come to the conclusion it is an incredible bike after a few tweeks - even the rotary rear shock isn't as bad as people make it out to be but, ideally, it is replaced.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
The motor is great and you can really feel the weight in the twisties

·
Registered
316 Posts
When looking at a TL, check the frame where the gas tank meets on the left side of the bike. The fuel pump is located inside the tank, and it is big and heavy. Habitual wheelies will cause the pump to slam against the bottom of the tank, causing it to leak fuel. You can tell by any discolored streaks in the aluminum, since gasoline stains aluminum. If there are streaks, then you have a wheelie-induced fuel tank leak.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
You're the only one in this thread it seems that hasn't believed the myths and legends. I've sorted through tons of rider feedback and reviews and have come to the conclusion it is an incredible bike after a few tweeks - even the rotary rear shock isn't as bad as people make it out to be but, ideally, it is replaced.
I thought the S was the only one with rotory shock,no?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Have'nt ridden one but I am in the process of rebuilding and painting one for my cousin...he wanted something for two up riding so he picked one up for $300 that needed rings.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I think all he replaced was the steering dampner. He had several consecutive wins.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Put 14000 miles on a new 02 tl1000r,and loved it.wished Id never got rid of it.heraed all the bad B.S. about the rotary rear,but i loved it.(im guessing most folks werent used to the engine breaking of the big twin)its the reason why i serched for and paid cash for my new sv1000.my sv runs very well but the TL HAS VERY BIG BALLS!!!!you wont regret owning one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have one and love it. THe "widowmaker" think is completely overblown. It is heavy and benefits more than most bikes from aftermarket weight reduction (wheels and exhaust) and suspension upgrades.

Still a really nice biike to own that'll get a lot of comments as there aren't many around.

for a LOT more info go to TLplanet.com

The consensus on that forum is that the TLR is definitely dated compared to the latest generation of superbike V-twins like the new KTM and the Ducati's but still a really nice bike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts