Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just realized how similiar the TL is to the SV... Never really looked into it before heh. Just curious, whats the difference..? I see that they made the TL while making the SV, but stopped when they came out with the SV 1000. I've never even heard of it till a couple days ago when someone said my bike looked like one.. Well, I guess I've heard of it on SVR just never looked into it.
Did someone already post this? Searched, but not too hard hah.

Ed

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TL1000S, was widely known as a "widow-maker".[3] Some riders crashed, and blamed the bike's instability. Although Suzuki claimed that they fixed this problem on the TL-R, the reputation stuck and Suzuki reported "sub-optimal" sales on both TL models. The TL1000R was also criticized by many in the motorcycle press for being overweight

Wikipedia.. I dont think Ive ever seen one in person, just curious now.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The widow maker thing was probably a little too overblown. The very first models came without a steering damper and was prone to tank slapping. Also the fuel injection was a little too aggressive at first. Combine those with a rear suspension that was too harsh from the factory and you had quite a few crashes early on (talking about the first couple months)

A recall fixed both issues within about 2 months and made a bike that was much more controllable, although still demanding respect. Imagine a 1st gen SVS with and extra 60HP and another 30+ ft-lbs of torque. Definitely demanding respect. Can you say Evil Twin?

With a few mods it can be a fine bike.

I might be the proud owner of a TL-S very soon if the cards fall right.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
my good friend has one (TLR) as his one and only street bike, he bought it new in 2002 i think. he's a pretty big dude, and he sat on a ton of bikes and decided that this was the one for him. it's currently down w/ a semi-broken (broken enough anyway) tranny, i think he's planning on splitting the case himself once his garage is cleaned up.

it's got a full race yosh system, pc3 (i think) and some other tuning / top end stuff, and aside from the tranny i think it's been pretty trouble-free... he's not a wanna-be racer, that i've ever seen (digs high-speed sweepers probably more than the slower more technical stuff i prefer), but i haven't heard him talk about any particular problems with handling. i should dig up some deal's gap video i have of him sometime, we had such a good time.

a.s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts