Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am having issues with a Dealership dragging its feet re-issuing me a replacement title and I am looking for advice.

Overview.
I had bought my SV on May 24, when the dealer told me he was going to mail me my title. After much nagging and annoying the dealer got me the title 40 something days after buying the bike. Unknown to me at the time, the sales manager did not even have the title for the bike, even though they had took the bike in on a trade in early March. When the title arrived, it was overstuffed stuffed into a business envelope and I must have ripped it upon opening. I then mailed the title back to the dealership and they received it on July 15th. After calling the same boso sales POS manager for two weeks I finally got a hold the owner who told me the truth about the whole matter. I live and bought the bike in Indiana and the tittle is an Ohio title, so the dealership has to have the original owner re-sign a power of attorney and go to the county courthouse where the title is electronically stored for a paper copy ( Ohio uses electronic title copies). I called the DMV and told them what happened and the entry level desk person told me I wud have to work with them. It willl be going on 4 weeks since I mailed them the replacement copy. Can anyone comment with sound advise on this. I am about to go to a lawyer.

To top it off I have not been able to ride the bike for the past 3 weeks due to the Temp tags expiring. And my truck guzzles gas, costing me fuel money.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sounds like the dealership has some shady business practices. I can't speak for Indiana law, but a bike coming into California has to be inspected by the DMV/Highway Patrol before being registered in CA.

If you are unhappy with the purchase you may be able to return the bike to the dealer and state it was not a legal sale since it does not sound like they had legal possession of the bike. I am not sure what an attorney would do for you beside write a letter on his/her letterhead which would give you a little more clout and may speed things up. I doubt you could sue for damages or gas money.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, not really wanting to go the lawyer route because of the money involved to their time. And if was to go that route, I would wana sue, as I have already put parts onto the bike as well as legal fees at the said point in time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Already did and they said no because they can only issue on temp tag per sale and I was on my second temp tag already. Shady

·
Banned
686 Posts
So you bought, signed for, and took the bike, title unseen?

Yes, the dealer should have treated you better, keeping you up to date on all happenings.

However, you never should have let it get this far. And your carelessness with opening your mail is not the issue of the dealer, the DMV, or any other entity other than yourself.

And finally, I've learned with many "dealership stories", what actually happened is so far from the story that the customer tells, that you can only believe about 10% of the story.

If your spelling and grammar is any indicator of how you communicated with the dealer, it's no wonder things are taking so long. Make yourself clear, and you'll never be misunderstood. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My grammer is an angry tone because I have been been given the run around for a while now. I am pretty upset at this point. Your right I should have taken the bike back on the 31st day.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
My grammer is an angry tone because I have been been given the run around for a while now. I am pretty upset at this point. Your right I should have taken the bike back on the 31st day.
You're

You could take it to the track. I don't think you need a title to ride a bike on the track. :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Dealerships do not have to have the title in their name. It doesnt happen with used vehicles. If you pay for a dealer license you do not have to register a vehicle before you sell it. Hence dealer plates. The old owner could be giving them a problem with showing up to get a new title. How bad was the original title ripped? Would your dmv except the ripped title?

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
don't know about Indiana, but, in Ohio the title MUST be on site if bike/car is for sale...

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Dealerships do not have to have the title in their name. It doesnt happen with used vehicles. If you pay for a dealer license you do not have to register a vehicle before you sell it. Hence dealer plates. The old owner could be giving them a problem with showing up to get a new title. How bad was the original title ripped? Would your dmv except the ripped title?

Most dealerships will flip the vehicle title into their name in order to avoid privacy issues with the previous owner (NJ prints the owner's driver's license number on the title). If there is a lien on the title, the dealer has to wait for the title to clear from the bank, however this doesn't prevent the dealer from offering the vehicle for sale (if audited, the dealer has to show proof that the payoff was sent and demostrate that the lien holder has given the dealer a valid payoff amount within a limited period of time, usually 10 days). With a 20 or 30 day temp tag on the vehicle, the dealer should have enough time to get the title from the original lienholder, flip it to their name and then put it into the name of the new owner.

Most motor vehicle agencies do not accept damaged paperwork. If the title was damaged, the last owner of record has to get the duplicate title.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The tittle was ripped to the point they would not take it. The DMV is not supposed to take a tittle that is deformed in any way because it is a legal document.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts