Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 456 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running the stock Dunlops on my bike. While around the town riding is fine, I feel very uncomfortable on the highway, mostly when entering turns at speed when I making a good lean- the rear does not feel sticky and I frequently get a feeling that it’s going to slide. When it’s wet, I am just dreading turns on the highway and always take it easy. I never leaned so low that I would touch the knee, and couldn’t even think about it on the Dunlops. Also noted that even with moderate braking the rear tire would sometimes completely lose the grip.
Did any of you ever feel comfortable with Dunlops’ grip?
I am thinking about getting Pilot Roads. How good are they for spirited riding, i.e. entering turns fast and low (no plans to drag the knee but would like to safely approach those angles)? I know they are great for long distance rides, which I do once in a while, but how good are they when entering turns fast, especially on wet payment?
I am also considering Pilot Powers, they've been getting consistently good feedback on this forum. How good are these tires for the travel (comfort wise)? How is the wet and cold grip compared to P.Roads?
Thanks so much for your input!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Re: Choice of tires, please advise

While I haven't run the Pilot Powers, I've got no problems with the feel of the Pilot Roads.

The key is tire pressure. I run higher pressure for commuting purposes, like 36 front, 38 rear. When it is time to play I drop them both by 2 psi for better grip & feel.

·
Registered
143 Posts

If you can live with about 5,000 miles per rear and 7,000 per front, then the Pilot Powers are the way to go. If you do track days, then also Pilot Powers. If this mileage is too low for you, then the Pilot Roads will give you about twice that mileage. If you are regularly scraping your knee, then you may find the Pilot Roads a little slippery!

·
Registered
563 Posts

My tire choice is easy, but that's because my sister works at an international shipping company and gets a discount on Pirelli. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts

Pilot Roads will be a more all around tire then the Powers will be and based on what you've typed I give them a shot. However WAIT for the newer Pilot Road 2s to be relased!!!!!!

They are a dual compound street touring tire that should give 8k to 10k on a rear and a softer sidewall to allow for greater grip when in higher lean angles.

·
Registered
284 Posts

My SV 650 came with Dunlop D220's. I got 7500 miles out of the rear, then I hit the wear indicators, so I swapped both tires for Metzeler Z6 RoadTec's.

I feel that the Z6 is a stickier tire in dry and wet, and like it a LOT better when I'm on grooved pavement. The D220 has a straight groove in the center of the front tire that the Z6's lack, and it causes the tire to wander left and right on that pavement.

That said, I found the D220's capable on both wet and dry, even in driving snow. The Z6 is better, but if I had a free set of D220's, I'd run them until I wore them out. Still, if these Z6's last as long as the D220's (I'm at about 2600 miles on them now), I'll buy them again because I do like the slight improvements.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts

This weekend I will be throwing on some BT21s. They are a 2 compound tire from what I have discovered though Bridgestone hasn't really been using it in their marketing. I know bridgestone isn't the hot name in tires and it has been a while since they have had a tire that was superb in their generation but at $206 shipped it was worth a shot.

PS:: I will be going on a good sporting ride next weekend to get a good impression of them.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts

Continental Road Attacks got great reviews ( esp from me) and they stick very well. Guys have done track days on them and been find. The Roads are fine too even for a track day or two

·
Registered
804 Posts

i got almost 5500 miles out of the dunlop qualifier! and these tires stick great! they are a bit stiffer carcus wise, but i like that because i can always tell what the tire is doing.

·
Registered
573 Posts

i've got the stock tires on my SV and haven't had any problems with them. I don't really like the profile of them much, but i've never had issues with traction, even at knee dragging angles. I run these tires just like i would the pilot powers, but don't necessarily trust them as much.
I need to invest in a set of PPs just so i can get the profile i want.
If your rear tire is breaking traction on moderate braking you're probably just braking with the rear too much. I don't usually use both brakes but when i do it's always hard braking, and i've never had the rear brake loose. It may also be your suspension setup as well.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts

I used to be able to slide my D220 rear on the street ??? Not that it felt like I was losing control. I thought it was fairly predictable and smooth but still.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Nexus242 said:
Pilot Roads will be a more all around tire then the Powers will be and based on what you've typed I give them a shot. However WAIT for the newer Pilot Road 2s to be relased!!!!!!

They are a dual compound street touring tire that should give 8k to 10k on a rear and a softer sidewall to allow for greater grip when in higher lean angles.
Any idea when these are going to be available here in the US?

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts

I just put my second set of Pilot Roads on my bike. I love these tires and can't praise them enough. I wanted the Roads 2, but since they aren't here yet, ordered the Roads. I went from Dunlops to these. I hate Dunlops.

And just to let you know, My Roads had about 12,000 miles on them when I put the new ones on. The thread still looked good, but I was starting to get a tad bit of cupping. But this was because I wasn't able to hit the twisties every time I ride.

my.02

·
Registered
27 Posts
i ride an 06 sv650s. i need new tires. i only use my bike for commuting. dont rip it on the track or on the twisties more than once/twice a year. i plan on riding when its cold, too.

please recommend some good tires that wont break the bank. i'd really appreciate it! thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Re: tire recommendations needed

I'm not typing all the same chit over and over...

==> http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=57842

And seeing as your tires are the only things that keep you vertical instead of sliding across the pavement while riding I don't think I'd be looking for the cheapest tires you can find. Pick a great tire and then look for the cheapest price on that tire.

:)

1 - 20 of 456 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.