Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a wreaked 03 sv1000s basically tires frame motor and wiring.
Been reading up about this green connector ordeal and bypassing the ignition bc it's trashed.
Missing a great deal of pigtails lots of open wires.

Issue I'm having is no spark. I'm getting 12v to both wire on rear coil but only 1 on front coil. All the resistors are in place for ignition and TO switch, also pair solenoid. I've spliced the side stand switch for now.

Starting to wonder if ecu is bad...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
After enough problems with my bike I ended up replacing the entire wiring harness. It didn't take all that long (a few hours) or cost all that much ($40 shipped on eBay).

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!:)

You should only have battery voltage to ONE wire on each coil...and that power comes from the same relay that powers the injectors so you might check to be sure that they share that same source. Got to love basket cases! I've been involved in a couple and remember well the challenges so you just can't assume anything and work to prove everything.

If you can straighten out the wiring to provide battery voltage to only the one (and correct) terminal on the coil/s, you can then check if the ECU is grounding them properly with a test light. Power it from the battery and then connect the probe to the coil wire. When cranking the light should flash as the ECU connects to saturate the coil then go out when it fires the plug. Wouldn't hurt to double-check the continuity from coil connections back to the ECU just to be sure things are as they should be. If the ECU isn't triggering the spark, the crank trigger sensor would be the next thing I'd check...be sure the resistance measures as the service manual calls out.

The two most important things you need when doing things like this are Patience and Persistence. And maybe a wee bit-o-luck.:) We've got a few members here who know the SV's pretty well....so if you have problems don't hesitate to come back....we love a challenge.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hijack of thread to avoid a new one, and title is appropriate!

Can anyone help with this question....?

I have a 2003 SV100S, new to me but obviously molested quite a lot in the past.
Everything "seems to work" but there is a totally burned up wire in one of the connectors. I am trying to find out what this wire services.

On the left side of the wiring harness adjacent to the battery box is a stubby multi-ground connector with 6 black and white wires coming out of it. This one is OK!
But, further back under the seat is a similar multi-ground plug. It's another six wire plug with 2 rows of 3 connectors, but only 5 wires are used. My question is regarding the center wire of the row which has all 3 wires in it. This wire is broken and completely burned up right back into the main harness. I cannot even tell what color the sheathing used to be.

Can anyone tell me what color this wire was, and what component it is meant to ground?

·
Super Moderator
8,913 Posts
Try trace farther back to an un-brunt section. Open part of the harness if necessary.

What on the bike is not working?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I started following the wire back into the harness, but I was damaging the other wires which this one was fused to as I teased them apart, so I decided to abandon this process. The charring seems to go way back in there and leaving things be for now seemed best.

After I bought the bike and rode it home I took the front and tail fairings off to repair them. It's still this way, since the weather here is so nasty (no garage to work in), so quite a lot of stuff is disconnected.

I was rather hoping someone could look under the rear seat of their bike and let me know. If I had to guess I'd say there was a hint of brown among the burned plastic, and it seemed of a larger diameter, but brown doesn't make sense coming into a multi-ground connector and I hate to make assumptions.

·
Super Moderator
8,913 Posts
I started following the wire back into the harness, but I was damaging the other wires which this one was fused to as I teased them apart, so I decided to abandon this process. The charring seems to go way back in there and leaving things be for now seemed best.
Really, there is no choice. Be careful not damage other wires but all charred wires must be traced back and replaced. You do not want to be riding a bike with damaged harness insulation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts