Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 42k on my 01 naked, at about 20k I got new dunlop qualifiers and a chain and both sprockets..at 30k the rear tire was bad it had a flat spot that sinks in the middle if that makes sense..I figured it was because I didn't regularly check pressure and I ride every day I also only adjusted the chain maybe 2 times... I know I know it was dumb, my rear sprocket got so bad that it warped every tooth at an angle which made the chain skip when riding ( dangerous!!). So I replaced my tires and chain and sprockets again at 30..learned from that mistake... I ended up buying higher quality chain and sprockets along with pilot powers. I still ride everyday and I check pressure once a week and tighten chain ever 500 to a 1000 miles. Now at 42k the rear tires looking like the old one?? Even though I totally changed my ways and took care of them. Take note that all of my riding is commuting on freeway about 50 to 100 miles a day.. also the tire has developed a line all the way around it, its about 2 inches from the center and wraps all the way around it. Ill post pictures later tonight, but I'm worried why my bikes wearing tires like this?

·
Registered
257 Posts
you said it yourself: "Take note that all of my riding is commuting on freeway about 50 to 100 miles a day.." you are not having to lean, so the only part of the tread that is going to wear is the center. nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
43 Posts
About the line that goes all the way around it. I had the exact same thing happen on my pilot roads. Twords the end of there life they developed a line, almost looks like someone dragged a nail or something across the tire while it was spinning like you described about a inch maybe two off center to the right on my tire. It was odd to say the least.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Holy cow, you got 10k out of a Qualifier? And 12K on Pilot Powers?

That is pretty amazing. Most people see 4 to 6k for those types of tires.

If you are looking for more mileage, and only do freeway commuting, there are much better high-mileage options.

·
Registered
372 Posts
With that kind of highway commute, you need a tire with a harder compound. If you like to hit the twisties on weekends, then go with a dual compound tire. That would give you the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Absolutely, you have the wrong tyres, you're using soft rubber and then pretty much wasting it on straight lines. Look at tyres along the lines of Conti Road Attack, Pirelli Diablo Strada, Metzeler Roadtec, Dunlop Roadsmart, Pilot Road, BT021, Avon Storm- all will give most riders all the corner grip they'll ever need, and a lot more mileage. You're using very sporty tyres which would be wasted on the road for most people even if they were riding hard in twisties, never mind for slab riding. Mine is used for both and I've been using Pirellia Diablo Stradas lately, Roadtecs before, both great tyres. Dunlop Roadsmart is the new hot item though.

TBH you're also using the tyres for far too long, changing tyres once they're completely knackered is a bit like using wet feet as a sign you need to go to the bathroom ;D Change them when they get well worn but before they completely lose it, if the tyre has visible signs of degredation like this it was dead probably 500 miles ago. If you have pics of the tyres, if you like you can fire 'em up and we can tell you what to look for.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the tips, ill change to a different tire. basically i was takin the bike to the twisties 3 times a week plus my commuting but then it got cold so i just stuck with commuting lol. im gonna powder coat the rims black before i get new tires and ill put up some pics of old and new ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
The pilot roads i had lasted 10k miles, and i could of probably went a little more on them. There good tires, very predictable, but they didnt stick enough for me. The rear would break loose often when accelerating hard out of a turn.

For riding down the highway though they would be my first choice.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
See this is why I rant and rave when someone asks about what tires to get and the sheep on the board just start spouting off Pilot Power are the best, Pilot Powers are awesome and do that with a phucking clue is best for this persons needs based on that person's riding habits.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
mrollg,
I don't do as much highway riding as you but I've gotten 14k out of my D220s and have a set of BT-021s sitting in my room waiting for march to roll around. :D
I'll let you know how they hold up. We should have a thread dedicated to high mileage riders' tires. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
See this is why I rant and rave when someone asks about what tires to get and the sheep on the board just start spouting off Pilot Power are the best, Pilot Powers are awesome and do that with a phucking clue is best for this persons needs based on that person's riding habits.
I never asked anyone what tires to get on this board. I got my current tires because i was doing a lot of canyon riding at the time, my question was as to why they were wearing the way they did. why waste your breath complaining and help chime in on my actual question please.

anyways here are the pictures

By mrollg, shot with Canon PowerShot A590 IS at 2009-02-26

both of my seats started cracking in the same week about a month ago!! sucks.

oh and my drink leaked through my backpack onto the back of my seat! thats why that stains there, happened today right before i got home and took the pictures

chris

·
Registered
257 Posts
I never asked anyone what tires to get on this board. I got my current tires because i was doing a lot of canyon riding at the time, my question was as to why they were wearing the way they did. why waste your breath complaining and help chime in on my actual question please.
your questions been answered, if you really like the pilot powers, get the 2CT's

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
OK, I don't know this specific brand but in picture 2, it looks like there's a well worn tyre wear indicator (TWI), near the right of the shot, halfway up- you see in the middle of one of the grooves there's a raised bit? There's another near the middle, in another groove. The one in the centre, if that's what it is, is completely worn down, they're your marker to change tyres. The ones on the side will be meaningless in this case because the tyre's not worn there as much.

The squaring off is nothing to worry about really, that tyre would be horrible in the twisties now as it's so unevenly worn but it's not a big deal for highways- the conditions that cause it really don't care about it. You'd almost certainly notice if you tried to ride fast corners etc

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
your questions been answered, if you really like the pilot powers, get the 2CT's
Hang on... Surely the 2CTs have a stickier shoulder but the same centre? So, no better for longevity, grippier in the corners he doesn't do, and more expensive?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been taking it extremely easy lately because of the tires and haven't rode every day, just to preserve the little rubber i have left until i can afford new ones...

theres a couple roundabouts getting off the freeway near my house that i can't resist tho :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well its already warming up here in AZ so i most likely am going to buy some soft tires again since ill be canyon riding again...

lets see how many miles i get out of the next set, i'll let you guys know in a few months lol

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
With the miles you do, it might be worth looking at more than one set of wheels... I did this mack when I was mile munching, I realised that if I stuck with my preferred Sportec M1s (this was years ago) I'd go through 5 tyres a year, if I changed to Roadtecs then I'd go through maybe 3. So then, I took the savings and bought spare wheels, and fitted cheap sticky tyres to one set and roadtecs to the other. When my mileage dropped off, I sold the wheels on. Win!

The other thing here is that you need to be really, really going some to need sticky tyres these days- most of the modern sport touring tyres offer more grip than most riders require. I've done trackdays on Roadtec Z6s and Diablo Stradas and they've done me fine, and those are fairly outdated tyres now. Dunlop Roadsmarts would do the job better still. It's really hard to justify anything but sport-touring tyres for the road these days unless you either do 3000 miles a year, all of them fast and twisty, or you're a total headbanger.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hang on... Surely the 2CTs have a stickier shoulder but the same centre? So, no better for longevity, grippier in the corners he doesn't do, and more expensive?
that wasn't my understanding of how it worked but oh well. i thought they had the same compound on the sides and a harder one in the center.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts