Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's I'm trying to round up a decent set of tire warmers for racing this year. Last season I used tyre sox. I thought that they pretty much sucked, but hey I'm on a tight budget. So what do I need to look for. I know that chicken hawk's are pretty much the standard. My buddy has some tire bakers and the seem to be awsome. What are you guy's take or experience on these? Do I need the Chicken hawk pole position warmers, or are the standard warmers good enough if I'm using pirelli tires? Also can I use the standard size warmers made for the 180 rear tires or do I need the 250gp warmers? I'm looking for some good used ones on the wera board but if I have to I guess I'll break down and buy new. So help me out . Thanks

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
svraceshop got me the digital tire bakers and they're the shizzle. i had a pair of ch before and liked them too for ease of use and quick warmup, but the tire bakers with the adjustable settings beats anything. but they cost a little coin too.

on the pirellis, last year they started recommending heat soaking the tire and setting pressures hot after the tires were on the warmers for an hour. i set my temp to 170 F, heated them for 45-60min, then set the pressure to 32F and 31R. they gave better, longer grip that way.

·
Registered
71 Posts
SUM636 said:
What are you guy's take or experience on these?

Do I need the Chicken hawk pole position warmers, or are the standard warmers good enough if I'm using pirelli tires?

Also can I use the standard size warmers made for the 180 rear tires or do I need the 250gp warmers?
Some very fast guys use them, some very fast guys don't. All AMA etc. guys do. Everyone has their own opinion.

I only put my warmers on about 30-45 minutes before a race. When i come back in i cover them with the warmers but do not plug them in.

Call Pirelli and ask them what they think about tire warmers. They are the tire professionals.

Chicken Hawk may have changed their sizing design for 06 so check with them on what will work best for your size tires. 845-758-0700

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
ZX-Tex said:
That seems odd to me... wouldn't the tire end up underinflated like that? 31-32 psi sounds like cold temps, and I thought that accounted for tire heating and pressure rise.

no, it gets it in what pirelli thought was a better operating range. after i heated my tires like this, i could do 8-10 laps, come in and check my pressures and they were still 32-33psi range. before, setting them at 31/30 cold, the hot range was 35-36psi, and they fell off faster there.

·
Registered
336 Posts
man, pirelli runs some high pressures. michelins run down around 22psi cold. i've got 4 brand new sets of the 'rellis that came with my new bike. so i'm gonna have to get used to 'em. i've got tyre sox as well, i'm on a bit of a budget this first year, and to me any warmer is better than none.

·
Registered
154 Posts
owndjoo said:
man, pirelli runs some high pressures. michelins run down around 22psi cold. i've got 4 brand new sets of the 'rellis that came with my new bike. so i'm gonna have to get used to 'em. i've got tyre sox as well, i'm on a bit of a budget this first year, and to me any warmer is better than none.
I think it's more accurate to say Michelin runs low pressure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
ok want to know which brand? To make a long story short, after a long gt race I was beat and had to head out to the next race in a rush (now for the good part) I forgot and kicked out my rear stand and rode about 100 yards with my rear tire warmer still on!! It was awesome I was laughing my ass off after my buddy told me it was still there right before pregrid. Either way ,it was a standard Chicken Hawk, and it still worked perfect after. So now that I told my most foolish brain fart..... Chicken Hawk ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.