Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy new tires for my 2000 sv and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I currently have a michelin on the back which I was not happy with but it was my fault for not keeping up on the tire pressure. I like the look of the Metzelers and was even looking at the Pireli's. Was wondering if anyone had any feedback that would help make my decision easier. There are so many different brands out there I have no idea what to get. i need both front and back so will buying them at the same time. Thanks for all the help.

Dub

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Commute? Weekend twistys? Track days?

Climate?

There is an awful lot of info on SVR about tires, a brief search might be useful. For the best recommendations or answers to your question, the more information you can provide, the better...

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
FungShui said:
I'm also looking for a new rear. Currently i'm leaning towards Pilot Sport more than Pilot Power because I'm planning to do more commuting approx. 60 miles a day than twisties. This thread was very helpful http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=52806.0.
Pilot Sports are obsolete tires that Michelin doesn't manufacture anymore but many vendors still have them in stock, the Pilot Power is the replacement, Powers stick better and last longer, I would lean to a Pilot Road for commuting

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
FungShui said:
I'm also looking for a new rear. Currently i'm leaning towards Pilot Sport more than Pilot Power because I'm planning to do more commuting approx. 60 miles a day than twisties. This thread was very helpful http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=52806.0.

For the street, IMO, there is nothing the Sport can do that the Road can't do better...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do a lot of everything...commute about 15 miles a day total, then ride on weekends with my friends on the back roads where there can be a lot of twisties...no track days though. Thanks for all the help!!

W

·
Registered
722 Posts
MEZ6's. In my opinion you just can't go wrong. I'm hoping for over 10K from the rear and I can tell you that they stick like glue and warm up quick.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I stand corrected :)

RandyO said:
Pilot Sports are obsolete tires that Michelin doesn't manufacture anymore but many vendors still have them in stock, the Pilot Power is the replacement, Powers stick better and last longer, I would lean to a Pilot Road for commuting
Six Chin Skinny said:
For the street, IMO, there is nothing the Sport can do that the Road can't do better...

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
dub26 said:
I do a lot of everything...commute about 15 miles a day total, then ride on weekends with my friends on the back roads where there can be a lot of twisties...no track days though. Thanks for all the help!!

W

Dub, my apologies, kind of forgot to answer your original question... :-[

If you have not tried one of the newer ST tires such as the Pilot Road, Z6, Diablo Strada, possibly even the Azaro ST 45/46, you might be pleasantly surprised at the amount of grip they offer in all conditions to go with their longevity; to compare one of these tires to an older ST tire such as the Dunlop 220, BT-020, or MEZ 4 is not even fair: apples to oranges. On the flip side, if you have used one or more of these newer ST tires and find yourself wanting more grip, I don't think the Powers can be beat as a compromise between an ST tire and a sticky trackday/aggressive street tire. Complaints about the Powers are so few and far between, either Michelin hit the jackpot or they have a squadron of pitbull tort lawyers ready to sue anyone who badmouths the tire. I've never ridden the Powers, as I don't have the need for more traction than the newer ST tires provide.

Also, don't rule out the Conti Attack; many of our brethren from across the pond rave about them, and a few SVR regulars love 'em, too.

HTH, it's a great time to be tire shopping: so many good quality tires available to fit just about every possible riding need...

·
Registered
19 Posts
rietveld said:
I'm sticking to the michelin pilot powers. great grip even in wet conditions, and a great sporty design
Agree - my buddy has these on his track SV and has many-many session on the tires with no apparent sign of degredation.  For aggressive street riding, these are definitely a good deal!  Based on the wear indications of his tires, the profile of the front works very well with the profile of the rear - they wear much more evenly than the Metzeler Sportec's on my SV.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just put on a set of the Pilot Powers after having an M-4 rear/ D 207 front.

What a difference. Check out Cycle Gear. Great prices in the store.

120/65/17 $79.95
160/60/17 $99.95

1 - 14 of 14 Posts