Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the tire choice and size for aggressive mountain carving and track days
Mike Bruns
It?s a 2002 SV 650

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
120/70-17 front, 160/60-17 rear

·
Registered
157 Posts
I never did a track day but I had good experiences with Dunlop sport max Q3 and Michelin pilot powers. Last set I got was the Continental motion. The last set lasted 2500 miles without really flattening the rear up until I sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Pilot Powers are ANCIENT

any of the new sport tires are good: Q3+ (Q4 isn't available in 160), Power RS, S21, etc

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
:eek:ccasion14:I just did a track day at Thunderhill near willows, CA. I had a 160/60 Z6 17 Metzeler Road something, and a 120/60Zr17 Bridgestone in the front. The front felt really good, but the rear was kindy greasy, and could tell I had a small contact patch with the shape of the tire from Highway usage lol. Its also a much harder tire, going with some metzeler M7's for the next track day, super excited to see the difference. Would it be better to run 120/70 in the front?

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I think first and second gen SV's stock front is a 120/60 but a lot of people switch to 120/70. Supposedly it helps to correct the speedo error. I can't speak to the difference in feel or performance, since I've stuck with the 120/60.

If you are a sunny skies rider only, then Q3s or the new Q4s have been a top choice. I went with Michelin Pilot Power 3s because I also ride in the rain. I am 100% confident in them in all conditions as long as the temp is above 50F.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
the 70 profile front typically has a bit sharper of a profile, with more available contact patch when leaned over

you might want to lower the front (or better yet raise the rear) a little if you install it though, as it makes the geometry a little lazier

·
Registered
22 Posts
I prefer Dunlop 212 GP Racer (50/50 street/track) but not sure how they hold on wet. Metzeler Racetech K3 and K2 also. For road riding only I'd stick with my pilot roads. With 120/70 the front lifts a bit, but you can quick steer much better. With 120/60 the feedback of surface is better and you feel every stone.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Michelin Pilot Power 3s already have a much more V-shaped profile than the Pilot Road 2s I had before them. When new, they really want to fall into the turn, but once leaned in, give you the grip to power out.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I think first and second gen SV's stock front is a 120/60 but a lot of people switch to 120/70. Supposedly it helps to correct the speedo error. I can't speak to the difference in feel or performance, since I've stuck with the 120/60.

If you are a sunny skies rider only, then Q3s or the new Q4s have been a top choice. I went with Michelin Pilot Power 3s because I also ride in the rain. I am 100% confident in them in all conditions as long as the temp is above 50F.
Q4 is a poor choice for a street tire (no tire life), it's really a trackday tire. Stick to the Q3+

120/70 front is fine and opens up a lot of tire options, but you need to slip your forks 8-12mm above the triple to keep the steering geometry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts