Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to run a bigger tire on my 01 sv650s, what is the biggest i can go without having to modify anything. can i run a 180 on the rear?

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
i want to run a bigger tire on my 01 sv650s, what is the biggest i can go without having to modify anything. can i run a 180 on the rear?
You can run whatever it is you wish.

Most people here would not recommend going bigger than stock though. Fitting a wider motorcycle tire on too small of a rim can mess up the profile of the tire and possibly lead to a very dangerous situation.

Zoran at Twin Works Factory (http://www.twfracing.com) has a kit to allow you to run an 06+ GSX-R rear wheel so you can safely use a 180 tire.

Also, this comes up quite a bit, so be prepared for some responses telling you to search, and maybe put your flame suit on. ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
so you wouldnt reccomend putting a 180 on the stock rim?
If you go to the tire manufacturers web site to check out possible tires for your bike you will usually see a recommended wheel width for each application. If the tire size you choose is beyond the recommended range you will be effectively changing the profile of the tire from what it was designed for.

That being said - I love my 160 rear on the track!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts