Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a set of Metzler Z6's. They are wonderful and have treated me damned nicely over the past 6 months of ownership.

Here's my question. The guy who put the tires on the bike told me that tires are only meant to last 1 year, regardless of mileage.

WHA!?!?!

I suspect that he's just shooting for repeat business, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
I believe he only said that because with temperature and pressure variations the rubber will start toshow little fissures.
But we (normal riders) cannot be too picky. We´ve to pay it, so it can last more. Don´t worry.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Vilrog said:
So I've got a set of Metzler Z6's.  They are wonderful and have treated me damned nicely over the past 6 months of ownership.

Here's my question.  The guy who put the tires on the bike told me that tires are only meant to last 1 year, regardless of mileage.

WHA!?!?!

I suspect that he's just shooting for repeat business, but I thought I'd ask. 

Thanks
if the tire lasts more than one season, yer not riding enuf

Sport touring tires have come a long way in the past 6 years when I bought my SV. My first season, I went thru 5 sets of tires,
now I only go thru 2 sets in the same amount of milage

·
Registered
899 Posts
Tire life is based on mileage not time! If your bike sits in the garage your tires will last for years! At least until they rot! ;)

G

·
Tires do in fact decompose over time, especially if exposed to sunlight or ozone, but the process takes more than twelve months and will be clearly visible (checkering, cracking, hardening). If you were talking about racing slicks or sticky DOT tires the situation would be different (shorter shelf life). It's just a guess, but I'd say five years would be about the max shelf life of an unused tire.

So I'm with RandyO on this one: if your tires die of old age before you wear them out, your not riding enough (...or you have too many bikes)!

:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts