Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aight I'm a noob when it comes to tires..but i need a new one so bare with me...I went to a serivce station today to check out their tires. One of the mechanics told me that they have a bunch of take offs in the back that were used for only ONE track session...It was plenty of treads left on them and all. But the sides of the tires have all these bumps and chunks of rubber that looks like it melted off and stuck to the sides of the tires. Keep in mind that these are $300 tires and he's offereing them to be for like $60. They were brand new up till this weekend when they used it ont he track. Should I take this deal? Or should I buy brand new tires for like $120??? i'm using these tires for regular road riding purposes...but I don't want them to be like defective or anything...the sides of the tire looks kinda worn, but the service guy says that this will easily pass inspection and definetly useable...should I take it???

·
Registered
369 Posts
what brand of tire? Take offs can be good as long as the tire is a good brand to begin with that was meant to take a beating. Pilot power take offs would be fine or something like that. ust make sure you inspect the tire carefully.

·
Registered
597 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
if your a noob, buy NEW tires, sport touring tires that will last you 8000-10,000 miles or more like Z6s, Pilot Roads, Azaro STs, etc.  they have more than adequate traction and will be much better in rain & limited traction situations,  Race takeofs will wear out quickly and you won't come close to their potentiali

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess at this point, I'm not worried about whether or not I'll use those race take offs to their full potential or not...I'm just looking for cheap tires that I can use for a while that can pass inspection...thats all...but maybe your right, maybe I should just get the $120 new ones...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Another thing to consider with take offs..

If they are track specific tires, they will not come up to operating temperature as quickly as as street tires. These Pirelli's are being billed as "street" tires though.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah see that's what I'm getting attracted to...the fact that these where race tires designed for the street ???

·
Registered
50 Posts
im in the same boat as you, looking at getting some race take offs to use on the street. Problem is I don't want a track tire that's gonna take a lot longer to warm up and I don't know if anybody will have some pilot power take offs or anything. What are some good take offs that many people use at the street and could be used for street riding without too long of a warm up??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts