Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious about tire pressure on pilot powers for a track day versus that for normal riding. What would you run for aggresive riding on the track. On the street I run 35 psi in both.

Jason

·
Registered
155 Posts
I typically start with 30/30 cold for Pilot Powers.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
He meant 32 after a few laps. Check your pressures as soon as you get back to the pits...they can cool off pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
He meant 32 after a few laps. Check your pressures as soon as you get back to the pits...they can cool off pretty quickly.
Exactly. Go out for a full session and when you come back in check your pressures right away.

Also, look into buying a decent gauge if you don't already have one. If the gauge has been dropped or been lying around in your glove box for a while get a new one since the old one is out of calibration.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I typically ran 30F/28R cold pressures. Checking them when getting back into the pits the temps would be up to around 32~33F and 30~32R, depending on track temps and how hard I was pushing it.

I always checked the wear pattern of the tire after each session to check for cold tearing or weird wear.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you that is exactly what I needed to know. I think I will start 32 front and rear cold and see where im at hot. I weigh a little bit 245 suited up And go from there. I was just a little afraid to run that low of pressure on a non race tire. Also would you change much pressure wise for the street? Im not talking slab or anything just mountains twistie stuff .

Jason

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I run 28 front 23 rear. I get cold tear if I run them with anything higher than 23 rear.

These are cold pressures.

KB
^^I run close to this.
28 Front and 24-28rear on the street(more like canyons). I like how the tires feel at the lower pressure, when its over 30 in the rear the tire feels less glued to the road. The front feels OK at 30-32 but it would frequently lock up on initial bite when pulling stoppies.

oh yeah.. i only weigh 160.

·
Registered
33 Posts
^^I run close to this.
28 Front and 24-28rear on the street(more like canyons). I like how the tires feel at the lower pressure, when its over 30 in the rear the tire feels less glued to the road. The front feels OK at 30-32 but it would frequently lock up on initial bite when pulling stoppies.

oh yeah.. i only weigh 160.
No stoppies for this kid

KB

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't ride my SV's on the street. Instead it is a GSX-R 1K. Typical pressure is 36/36. No issues with grip on the roads. Unfortunately, no canyon carving here but we do have some nice country roads. Just got to watch out for tractors!

·
Registered
53 Posts
30 front, 28 rear is a good starting point. The outside temp has a lot to do with it. On cool days, lower pressure is the ticket as for lower pressure will cause the tire to heat up more thus providing better grip. Running a high tire pressure will not allow the tire to heat up as fast and or get up to full temp. I typically run my power race tires at 30 front / 22 rear on day 80 and below. 80+ I run them at 31 front / 26 rear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts