Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What pressure are you guys running? Dunlop 220 sidewall says 42psi, frame sticker says like 33 or 36 I think.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
from what i have noticed, when temps are down, i have to up it to 40/40 and when its hot, 36/36. Some in here may say those pressures are wrong and blah blah this and that but i like how the bike handles at those pressures. when it at 33/36 i feel as if the bike is pool and about to wreck.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I keep it at least 33/36. Different tires recommend different pressures. I've yet seen one recommended below 33/36 so thats why thats my minimum. The D220 is a bit stiffer of a tire (sport touring) so running it at 40 something would probably help ya get mileage out of it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right on fellas. I had em pumped up to 40psi today and it felt like I was riding on solid rubber wheels. I'll shoot for 36ish on both and see how that works out.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Novadesigns said:
These are cold temp pressures right?
jes who do ju think we are? ;)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
lkm said:
from what i have noticed, when temps are down, i have to up it to 40/40 and when its hot, 36/36.  Some in here may say those pressures are wrong and blah blah this and that but i like how the bike handles at those pressures.  when it at 33/36 i feel as if the bike is pool and about to wreck.
D220's are the stock Sv tire , recomended pressures are 33F/36R cold
raising the pressure will cause the tire not to heat up as much and loose stickyness
lowering the pressure will cause the tires to heat up more and wear faster

you might want to add e few psi on a long highway trip 40 in front is waaaay high
if you ride in winter (cooler temps) you might want to drop the pressure to help the rubber to heat up on cold pavement

lkm, your recomendations are out to lunch

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
acedeluxe said:
... Dunlop 220 sidewall says 42psi, frame sticker says like 33 or 36 I think.
Sidewall pressures are for maximum the tire can safely handle, irregardless of what it is installed on. Some tire manufacturers websites (such as Avon) have pressures listed by model of bike and line of tire.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
RandyO said:
lkm, your recomendations are out to lunch
As is everthing he says.

·
Registered
213 Posts
33 and 36 for me

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
MagpieTear said:
Sidewall pressures are for maximum the tire can safely handle, irregardless of what it is installed on. Some tire manufacturers websites (such as Avon) have pressures listed by model of bike and line of tire.
Yes, those MAX pressures listed on the tire sidewall have nothing to do with the recommended pressures for safety or handling on any particular motorcycle. Start with the owners manual/frame sticker as a baseline unless advised otherwise by the tire manufacturer because of unique tire characteristics (e.g. Avon).

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
yep. i should have mention i have d220 in front and m1 in back, dunno if that matters but my pressures are what suits me. I love the way it handles.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Stock Dunlop D220's with cold tire pressures of 33 psi front and 36 psi rear. I run these tire pressures year round. If an when I ever change tire brands. I'll run the recommended cold tire pressures recommended by the tire manufacturer.
Cheers! :)

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
so does anyone change the normal pressure they use when going to another brand tire? just curious because I hear some people just going by what the tire recommends and some going by what the vehicle recommends.

personally, I run 32 front and 35-36 rear in all my tires on the SV... no matter the tire. Coming from experience with my cars and tires... I have to think that tire PSI ratings established by bikes or cars has something to do with the weight and distribution of the weight. My Ford Probe GT had the most unsual raitngs so far... it was like the SV only front was 36 and rear was 32 I think. So I had thought maybe the end with more weight gets a little more air pressure.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
syntheticton said:
so does anyone change the normal pressure they use when going to another brand tire? just curious because I hear some people just going by what the tire recommends and some going by what the vehicle recommends.

personally, I run 32 front and 35-36 rear in all my tires on the SV... no matter the tire. Coming from experience with my cars and tires... I have to think that tire PSI ratings established by bikes or cars has something to do with the weight and distribution of the weight. My Ford Probe GT had the most unsual raitngs so far... it was like the SV only front was 36 and rear was 32 I think. So I had thought maybe the end with more weight gets a little more air pressure.
As far as I know, Avon is the only tire mfg that recommends anything substantially different from the norm. prolly because of Avon's carcass construction is variable belt density, they recommend 36F/42R

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
ahh... this is kinda what I figured.... I think there is a race tire that uses different pressure too as I recall hearing from a track day

·
Registered
430 Posts
the
syntheticton said:
ahh... this is kinda what I figured.... I think there is a race tire that uses different pressure too as I recall hearing from a track day
the pilot powers suggest something like 30 front 29 rear for the track. don't know anything about their new race tires though

1 - 18 of 18 Posts