Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right...4 days before the MidSouth Rally I find a nail in the my rear tire :BangHead: I'm considering a patch done by a shop, but am unsure if that would be the smart thing to do right before a 1,000mi+ trip with grueling twisty AR roads making up the majority...

The tire in question is a Pilot Road 2 with only a couple thousand miles on it. I'd really rather not scrap a fairly new $190 tire, but don't know if I should patch it for this Rally. Maybe I could replace it with a Pilot Power or a BT016 (I have a Power 2CT front) and either sell the Road 2, or patch/save it for when the new rear wears out.

Any advice?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have full confidence in internally plugged tires. I've had several bikes with this done before and on those tires, I have gotten max life out of them. Call around to motorcycle shops, especially custom cruiser places (the place I used in St. Louis was a custom cruiser place) and ask them if they would remove your tire and put an internal plug in it. Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
389 Posts
I would just get a new one for the trip and patch the used one to use after you get back. It's a lot harder to take care of a problem on the road in between towns and what not. If something happens to the patched one, it would be much easier of a situation if you weren't hundreds of miles from home.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
plug it with a string type radial tire plug, check your air pressure a couple extra times the first day or two,

then forget about it

seriously, radial tires can be safely plugged with no worries

done it many times, even on the morning of a 1250 mile day

·
Registered
312 Posts
plug it with a string type radial tire plug, check your air pressure a couple extra times the first day or two,

then forget about it

seriously, radial tires can be safely plugged with no worries

done it many times, even on the morning of a 1250 mile day
I've actually done that too. Those string plugs are great for small holes. I've even used Slime a couple of times on holes made by small nails and staples and the tires lasted their entire lives. ;D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts