Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking for a q2 to replace my rear and it looks like the best I can find is around $135

While looking I saw a package deal from Chaparral for the q2's but the sizes are 120/70 and 160/60...

This is weird right? The deal works out so that the front ends up being around 90 bucks. $222 for both.

Is this a great deal? Is it going to instantly destroy my bike and end the world as we know it if I put this combo on my sv?

Hmm... would you?

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
The 120/70 front tire instead of the 120/60 stock size is a common upgrade. It fits well and, among other things, corrects the speedometer reading (mostly). There are several old threads on this, not certain how many there have been in the last year.

·
Premium Member
4,845 Posts
Q2's are certainly good sport tires. Unless you are riding very aggressively and pushing an extreme pace in the twisties, you might be better served by a sport touring tire. Sport touring tires last a lot longer and have plenty of traction for mere mortals.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
i went with 120/70 on the front a few years ago and i wouldn't go back to 120/60 unless someone was just giving them away. the ride is much smoother, and stability is better. though initial turn in is a bit slower, it only takes about 5 minutes to get used to it. keep in mind, that's the size on most modern sportbikes anyway. i suspect the 60 series tire was a cost cutting move on suzuki's part, as there's a lot of air space between that tire and fender, while the 70 just looks so right there. also might have been aimed at shorter, (meaning women), riders, as the 70 raises the front end 12mm. some will compensate for this by adjusting the fork height but as a six-footer i prefer the extra height.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
I'd say there isn't enough of a difference between the two to really matter. I've switched back and forth several times on this bike over the past 11 years and only notice it for a few minutes.

Changing the size is hardly an upgrade, especially for a new rider.

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
Changing the size is hardly an upgrade, especially for a new rider.
Except for the speedometer correction. With a 120/60 its, what, 10%high? A 120/70 gets it much closer to true.

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
Neither a big ender nor little ender. Now both sides can burn you as a heretic.

120/65 indeed!

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
That depends on what your anal default setting is. Some of us have it higher, others lower. Besides, if you’re telling people you were going 140 and they point out it was 126 max it’s kind of deflating.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
LAWLZ

Yeah, I've never been one to brag about how fast I've ridden. I got past that stage at around age 10.

If you know your speedo is off 10%, then adjust accordingly, especially if it's giving you a wedgie.
He won't hesitate to brag about putting his BAWLZ on another guy's face though!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So is it a really good price? My front still looks pretty good.

It IS from the end of 09 but yeah... still good according to the tread and Dunlops warranty.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Is it a decent price? Sure. Is it a really good price? No. If you want another pair of Q2s shop around a bit and then buy whatever you think is the best deal, which this price may very well be( if you can have them installed for a low cost or are willing to do it yourself.) If you are looking for a good deal on tires in general, there are less expensive options out there.

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
1 - 20 of 66 Posts