Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just changed my stock D220's to Metzler Z6 today. I got 11,275 miles on the set. The wear bars have been showing on the rear for about the last 500 mi. The front could probably have gone another 3000 mi. But I didn't want to mix tires so I changed them both.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
ASC-- I spooned a set of D220's onto my 1st gen SV a couple tires back. Mileage was in the 11-12K range. The rear had probably 2-3K miles left, but the front had advanced scalloping. Pressures used were ~39-40 rear and 35-36 front. No burnouts, wheelies, etc...

HTH

FWIW, I will not be using D220's again ever. The new crop of ST tires offer loads of grip and tire life and perform much better in nearly all street conditions. I can't say enough about the Pilot Roads I am using now (currently at 11+K miles). Absolutely fantastic tire. That being said, I have a set of Pirelli Diablo Stradas waiting for the Roads to give up the ghost. (I like to experiment with tires... ;D)

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
sorry to bump an old thread but the search function turned it up and it is my exact question. I just bought an '04 SV with 3400 miles and it already needs a new back tire. When I asked the guy about it he said that he got a nail with about 1000 miles on the bike and so he put a new 220 on the rear SO... that means the new stock tire got about 2500 miles out of it. What gives? The damn thing even has cords showing through INSIDE one of the grooves. I can't afford to be putting tires on this bike every 2-3000 miles. I definitely won't be buying another 220 because it seems to be crap from what I've read and what I felt riding in the first 200 miles. Why in the world would my rear be gone so early?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got 8900mi out of my D220 rear before the wear bars were smooth. The front had a few thousand left on it but it was scalloped. I replaced them with a set of Avon Azaro ST's and so far I am impressed. Sounds like maybe that guy was locking up the rear wheel alot, doing burnouts, or running too low air pressure.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
jeopardy98,

I agree 100% with sah81: The PO must have abused the rear tire or neglected proper inflation to wear out a D220 on a lightweight, low power bike such as the SV in 2500 miles. Or he's lying (ask him for a receipt for the purchase of the tire).

If you go spoon on a set of a modern ST tires (Pilot Road, Z6/Diablo Strada, Avon AV 45/46), you should expect 8-10K miles of life given proper use and care. HTH

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Thanks. I considered the fact that he could be lying about the tire but that would still mean it only got about 4000 miles out of it. I am considering the Z6 or the Pilot Road as my searches have returned good results for both. I should be able to run either of those with the stock front, correct?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts