Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to figure out what tire to run on my SV650. The bike is being converted into mainly a track bike but I still do ride it on the street (just not long distances).
I'm not too concerned about wear, nor do I ride in rain so dot tires would be OK. I do not however use warmers (yet).

I just picked up a 5" CBR rear wheel that I have spacers for so this would also be an option.
Now I'm wondering about 1) tire sizes and 2) tire type/brand.

I was initially going to go for a 180 rear tire on the CBR wheel but some people have advised against.
My other thought was 170 rear on the CBR wheel to get a bit more meat and higher rear tire profile (since I'll be going 120/70 on the front).
I've been contemplating the Dunlop Q2s since I'm running them on my Ducati Streetfighter and they seem to be holding up pretty wheel and providing good feedback (and quick warmups).
Q2s are available in either 160,170 or 180 so this would be giving me a good amount of options. Other brands aren't always avail in 170 or even 160.

I figured that I'd toss this up to see what other people have been running. From my understanding the main benefit to go 180 is the tire choices (and probably combo prices) which is what I had in mind but was told the 5" may be a bit narrow (not sure how that translates at the track).

Any input would be appreciated.

·
very big dumb
8,897 Posts
uhm, as far as I remember, stock sv is 4.5", f3 is 5.0"
if you're looking for better handling track setup, 160 is the one you want. if you're looking for bling-bling fat tire, go 170. 180 is a bit much.

/i have a 170 on an f3 wheel.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ur right... 4.5" SV and 5" CBR wheel is what I have.

What would you recommend in 160 tire though? And what would you fit it on, the 4.5" SV wheel or the 5" CBR wheel? I hear that it wouldn't be as "stretched" on the 5" wheel.

·
very big dumb
8,897 Posts
the f3 ran a 160 stock as well. it actually has a better profile than on the sv wheel (it's a bit pinched on the sv). But it comes down to looks really, both work fine.

i run Q2s and they seem to be a popular choice around here. I do have to say though, it really really really doesn't matter since we are nowhere near fast enough to tell the difference between tires.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a conti sport attack on the rear stock sv wheel and definitely doesn't give much confidence so anything will be better i'm sure.
I've gotten to trust the Q2 so I'll probably end up going for these unless I find better at a good price point (kinda hard to beat the Q2 in that department too).

How about the weight of the F3 wheel vs the SV? Again I know that it won't make a huge difference but if I'm running the same tire size I need to figure out if it's worth even going the F3 route.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Pilot Pure for street/track. Them or Q2s would do great for you

·
very big dumb
8,897 Posts
Says who? I can tell the difference.
unless it's shown by lap times, you're most likely having the placebo effect or comparing some really crappy tires to some decent ones. unless you're all the way on the side of the tire doing some very agressive cornering it will not make much of a difference.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
would you guys also recommend using the 160 on the 4.5" wheel or the CBR 5"?
From what I can tell the 5" CBR with 160 may be the best handling combo though reading the post above doesn't seem to point into a specific direction and am getting mixed reports.

·
Registered
575 Posts
unless it's shown by lap times, you're most likely having the placebo effect or comparing some really crappy tires to some decent ones.
What about if one tire slides and another doesn't? Is that placebo? I have had full-on slides on Q2s on turns at lower cornering speeds than I have gone on DOT race rubber without a hint of slipping.

unless you're all the way on the side of the tire doing some very agressive cornering it will not make much of a difference.
OP was asking about tires for a track bike. Don't you think some aggressive cornering might happen there?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
now now. let's play nice.
my original post was whether I should use a 160,170 or 180 tire and on what rim size. I think this was answered.

Now as far as which is the best rubber that's always gonna be subjective. I think IMO the Q2s will probably be a good choice as I'll still be riding the bike on the street and the Q2s are dirt cheap. I could go the DOT route for more grip but we'll see down the road.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sorry, I just had to chime in. It's pet peeve of mine; I see the argument on many internet moto boards. "Sticky tires are a waste" "you can run track days on touring tires" etc. Just because you haven't pushed your tires enough to find the limit, doesn't mean that other people haven't.

I think IMO the Q2s will probably be a good choice as I'll still be riding the bike on the street and the Q2s are dirt cheap.
DOT take-offs are even dirt cheaper (I usually pay about $80 a set). I get about 1500mi out of a set, which isn't much less than I got out of the Q2s.

Ok, I'm done.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DOT take-offs are even dirt cheaper (I usually pay about $80 a set). I get about 1500mi out of a set, which isn't much less than I got out of the Q2s.
That's good to know... where do you find them? That doesn't sound like a bad plan either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts