Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace the OEM tires as dry rotting has claimed them rather than wear. The bike has 5600 miles on it with me putting 1700 miles in the last month. I ride the bike daily for transportation as much as possible to save on gas money. I have narrowed down two replacement choices, based on research, and looking for opinions. The two choices:

Michelin Pilot Road 3 ( Basically the same as the 2s except better rain performance and claimed slightly longer life. A Dual compound tire.)

Shinko 009 Raven ( At nearly half the cost of the Road 3s. I question this tire because its so cheap but reviews have been good, except wear life on large displacement bikes.)

I live in central Indiana and ride mostly flat boring stuff. So is the nearly $150 extra worth it for the Road 3? The road 3s will last longer but I have not seem to make a dent in the stock ones anyways, they are still round.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I have put conti motions on two bikes now. Unless you are doing seriously aggressive riding, I dont think you can beat them for the money.

·
Registered
905 Posts
oh boy, this thread again!

But really, it depends on what you're gonna do. Shinkos and Conti Motions are good if you're doing straight up commuting. Though from what I've read, neither of those tires are stellar in the rain, nor do they handle aggressive riding well.

I picked up PR3s to replace the Conti Motions that were on my bike, and the difference is very clear. I found the PR3s had better turn in, 'feel,' and loads more traction. They also warm up almost instantly as well. Additionally, I took them on the track and the PR3s were more than enough for my pace. I feel like I could easily pick up another 10-15mph on them before I really start to stress the tire.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"oh boy, this thread again!"

Well for the price difference have to make sure.

Since, you have rode conti motions and PR3s back to back gives alot more insight.

So how much better in the rain?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Shinkos are -ok- for commuting. I had a set and they do everything ok, just not so great in the rain.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I got Pirelli Angels and I feel very confident with them in the rain. Ex. Last thursday hail/heavy rain. They have not slipped on me yet aggressively riding, but all this experience comes from my pov. Factors such as weight, suspension, tire pressure, and experience all factor in.

You can get them for around $250 for a set average. Maybe even cheaper now. They are not dual compound though which may deter you. I am expecting them to last quite awhile. After seeing the busa test where they let a busa lap at over 130 mph consistently until it croaked over 3000+ miles. All that could be a gimmick though. But I am happy with my shoes.

·
Registered
968 Posts
PR2's should be fine too. ive heard that aside from rain performance, the PR3's aren't that much different. unless you go out of your way to ride in the rain, look into the PR2's and see if the price is more appealing to you. PR2's should bein the middle of the price range you've set with the PR3's and the shinko.

got my set from motorcycle superstore for around 250 i believe.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
PR2's should be fine too. ive heard that aside from rain performance, the PR3's aren't that much different. unless you go out of your way to ride in the rain, look into the PR2's and see if the price is more appealing to you. PR2's should bein the middle of the price range you've set with the PR3's and the shinko.

got my set from motorcycle superstore for around 250 i believe.
I've ridden my PR2s in the rain and they were actually pretty fantastic. Love those tires! And you're right they are cheaper than the PR3s.

·
Registered
905 Posts
"oh boy, this thread again!"

Well for the price difference have to make sure.

Since, you have rode conti motions and PR3s back to back gives alot more insight.

So how much better in the rain?
I could easily make my rear wheel spin when it was wet out, even in third gear. Never really asked much of the front tire...

At my riding skill level (novice fo sho), I can't tell a difference between dry and wet with the PR3s. They hook up very nicely.

Oh, and one other thing - ambient temps. The Contis were pretty loose when it got cold out, like high 30s lower 40s. I could tell the PR3s lost some of their bite at those temps, but they never slid on me..

Boy I sure do my PR3s. :p

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
If you would like another opinion, the Shinko 011 is much improved over the 009 if handling is important to you. I took a PR2 off the front and replaced it with the Shinko 011 and am amazed at the difference! The PR2's handle like a truck compared to the Shinko.;) Seriously, look at the 011's. They cost a bit more than the 009's, and wear almost as long.....but are a very good handling tire that warms up quickly and has great street traction.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've been very happy with Continental Tires as of late. I have burned up several sets of sport attacks, sport attacks 2s and the attack SM's. I'd toss in the Road Attack 2s they make into the mix and see how they price out in comparison.

Although everyone before me who has posted up about PR2/3s has given you very sound advice.

Cheers,
Matt

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
I have conti motions too and I must say I was very impressed. They handle well in both dry and wet conditions, inspire confidence and they are extremely smooth, they absorb little bumps and road imperfections very well, feels like somebody serviced your suspensions. Of course they are not good for hot laps on the track, but they are far better that those wooden OEM. Plus the price is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
968 Posts
i've run a shinko 005 advance on the front for a while now. its outlasted my Q2 rear and probably has at least another grand on it. the wires are starting to show on my rear and im just getting to 8K, which is what i got on the last one too. i'd say the advance could get me at least 10K, which is pretty outrageous from the other shinko reviews i've read.

figured i'd go with the PR2s this time since my dad was swearing by them. i got a set since he said riding mismatched was "bad joo joo" :panic:

·
MOTORADOR
10,967 Posts
I'm in love with my PR3's.

Sent from my left shoe using the Motorcycle app

·
Banned
686 Posts
Tires are one thing that I refuse to cut corners on. Forgive the pun, but there is too much riding on them to cheap out on inferior materials and poor manufacturing.

I've seen a lot of tires at the shop, and get to hear a lot of reviews by many people with several different riding styles. The tire that continuously comes to the top of the list when it comes to an all-around great tire, is the Pilot Road 3.

While the cost is a bit more than some of the other brands on the market, there are good prices available, if you shop around.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Tires are one thing that I refuse to cut corners on. Forgive the pun, but there is too much riding on them to cheap out on inferior materials and poor manufacturing.

I've seen a lot of tires at the shop, and get to hear a lot of reviews by many people with several different riding styles. The tire that continuously comes to the top of the list when it comes to an all-around great tire, is the Pilot Road 3.

While the cost is a bit more than some of the other brands on the market, there are good prices available, if you shop around.
Unless you are pushing yourself hard on the track regularly, tire technology has improved to the point where you really cannot go wrong with most tires. If most of what you are doing is commuting with the occasional spirited rides, a top of the line tire is not necessary. Its just like buying a $700 helmet to make yourself feel like you have the best when it really isnt necessary. Most riders cannot push the tire to its limits anyway. I have never had the conti motions lose grip. I havent ever had the stock tires on my GSXR 750 ever lose grip for that matter.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts