Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to my brother about getting new tire.  He said a guy at work w/ a GSXR-1000 does it himself all the time.  From what this guy told him ...

All tires come balanced from the factory.  And if your rim is already balanced your good to go.  Every tire and rim have a special dot on them that should match up.  Match them both up and your fine.

Is there any truth to this?  I think the dot is specifically for matching the tire to a spot on the rim so that balance is kept in tact if you ever take that specific tire off the rim and then put it back on.  I also think that anytime a new tire is put on the tire and rim should be rebalanced .....

If this is true, how hard is it to get a tire off and new ones on?

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Well considering everytime my tire's been changed, there was more or less weight put on it, so it doesn't stay balanced forever.

As for taking the tire off, I took my tire off last night, and I gotta say this, if you do not have the tools don't do it! It was a greasy bloody sweaty 4 hour curse fest. That was just getting the tire off. Next time I might invest in some tire irons and a bead breaker. Eh screw that I'll just pay 20$, I'm still in pain last night from the one on one rumble.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The dot on the tire indicates the lightest point. If you know the heavy point of your rim and line the two up you'll need the least amount if balancing afterwards. However, the difference in how out of balance a rims or tire is changes from one to the next, so the wheel should be balanced every time a new tire is put on.

·
Registered
684 Posts
word to the wise call around and find the cheapest shop to take it to. trust me for my time and effort its worth the money. my local shop charges 40

·
Registered
419 Posts
I change my own, but that's mostly because I also ride a dual sport out in the desert and I absolutely have to be comfortable changing a tire on the trail. Once you do a couple of dozen and you have good tools it comes a lot easier.

I do not believe the person you spoke to is correct. I have a balancing stand, and even when lining up the dot on the tire, which is supposed to be the lightest spot on the tire, it still needs additional weight to balance, and that weight changes from tire to tire in my experience, even with the same model tire.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
changing a motorcycle tire can definitely be done by oneself. but its for the hard-core do-it-yourselfer. it's a lot of work to spoon on a streat tire with tire irons, but on the plus side you don't get new and interesting scratches all over your rims. with practice, it's not too bad. unless your a hard-core DIYer, i'd take it to the shop.

tires aren't balanced from the manucturer. as others have said, there's a dot where the light spot is. having said that, you probably don't have to balance tire & rims at all unless you plan to go 100+ mph, because the tires and rims are pretty close nowadays.

·
Registered
153 Posts
You are supposed to line up the dot (the tires light spot) with the valve stem, which should be the rim's heavy spot.

This should minimize the weight you have to put on the rim.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's a good idea to balance them...the valve stem is rarely the heaviest spot, even though it should be. The good news is that you can get a surprisingly good balance w/o a balance stand. If you have good wheel bearings, you can use the front axle and just put it up on 2 milk crates, or something similar, and find the heavy spot that way. I've balanced many tires this way, and while you can't get it as close as you can w. a stand, you can get it pretty darned good...good enough for street riding for sure.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I change and balance my own tires with no special tools. It is not hard to do.

If you are not comfortable doing it then take it to a shop.

Yes they need to be balanced.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
right now I have an unbalanced front wheel, I don't notice any difference, I've never seen more than a gram or 2 of weight on any of my wheels

1 - 10 of 10 Posts