Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. if you had a bike that needed a front tire and the back was basically brand new. and you had a bridgestone on the back but could get a metzler for cheap that was basically brand new. would you mount it even if the speed rating and size and everything matched just not the brand? if not, explain reasoning, if so, explain reasoning.

oh ya and another thing, is there a such thing where you can get fined for not matching your tires. any county?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I would get this front tire... It's a damn good tire and dirt cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Metz...cmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35601QQitemZ4599107007

You won't find a better price for a new M1.

But to answer your question, people mix and match tires all the time, it is never recommended by the tire manufacturers of course, but I have done it for a good 10,000 miles or so with no problems what-so-ever. I have never heard of anyone getting fined for choosing an unmatched set of tires.

For clarification purposes, what Bridgestone is on the back, and which Metzler were you looking at adding?

-josh

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I think it's more important to match profiles but I'm no expert on the subject, I have always had matched sets

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replys, this was to prove a point to someone who was going to throw away a tire because he didnt want to sell it to someone who would be mismatching brands. appreciate the help. thanks

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I'm running a Roadtec front and AVon rear... They're about as different as it gets, totally different shapes, and they have very different sidewall characteristics. Never been a problem in the slightest. never ever mix a radial and a nion-radial, but, well... Don't buy a non-radial, there's a reason they invented radials :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've run totally mismatched tires to the very extreme with no upsets. I'm mismatched brands, mixed radials with biased, dual sport tires and road tires, The only thing that I have found that didn't work out was running a rear Battle Axe 45 120/80 x 17 on the front of the SV. I run that tire on the front of my Pacific Coast with no problem and get 16,000 miles out of them. But that tire is too heavy for the front of the SV and slows down the handling too much.

Zak

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've run totally mismatched tires to the very extreme with no upsets. I'm mismatched brands, mixed radials with biased, dual sport tires and road tires, The only thing that I have found that didn't work out was running a rear Battle Axe 45 120/80 x 17 on the front of the SV. I run that tire on the front of my Pacific Coast with no problem and get 16,000 miles out of them. But that tire is too heavy for the front of the SV and slows down the handling too much.

Zak

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've run both bias and radial tread patterns backward with no problems, some tires cup less if you run them backward.

Zak

1 - 11 of 11 Posts