Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed 04 gxer 1000 shock.Everything went real smooth.Major tips for those who are thinking to do this mode from my experience.
1.It is lot more easier to use threaded car jack instead of battle type under the swing arm since you can fine tune it just right to algine the dog bones.
2. Install the bottom bolt first but don't tighten it yet and then install the top one next.The holes will not line up perfectly hence doing this way.Fine tune the swing arm jack to get the right hight for the top holes then insert a breaker bar just behind the bolt for leverage and push the head of the shock from behind to alighn all the holes and insert the top bolt.
I am making a costum battery box and fender eliminater from regular galvanised flashing.Good luck if you got questions pm me or write it here.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My first impression is my bike feels lower in the back.Not good.I am sure the shock is basically same hight as stock and better gxer shock is saging more then stock.Is there a way to adjust the sag without making new shorter dog bones?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Increase preload.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NOsquid said:
Increase preload.
Thanks I was thinking the same.I will try

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went harsh,firm to semi firm and gradually found the ideal position balance of best worlds however my turn in slowed down, enough that I have to really press the handle bars.
I can either cut shorter dogbones or mount the forks say 3/4 inch lower.
Which is the best solution.Any inputs?

·
Registered
606 Posts
The shock is too short and you need shorter dog bones.

The SVRaceShop.com We can help!

D

·
0 Posts
Check your sag and adjust the preload. Also, what is the spring rate? It might not be stiff enough for your weight, thus the low ride height.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dillweed said:
Check your sag and adjust the preload. Also, what is the spring rate? It might not be stiff enough for your weight, thus the low ride height.
I weigh 172 with gear and did a bit of research before buying gxer 1000 shock which came from 04 with less then 2k on it.I don't mind making shorter dogbones.They are very simple to make and would like at least 1in rise.I love sportbikes where just a little tag and you are already turning or thinking and turning becomes intuative.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts