Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some things I'm doing to conserve gasoline, and I'm wondering if there are other fuel saving suggestions I haven't thought of:

riding/driving less
slowing down a bit
accelerating gradually
short-shifting
coasting downhill
adding an extra pound of air in my tires

Having said all that, I'll probably go for at least a short ride in the country on my SV650 this weekend.  Sometimes I think it's the only thing keeping me sane these days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,094 Posts
It already happened allot in these past few days. My girlfriend's company's delivery trucks all got siphoned that first night
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
i've been walking to work since january, but i recently started taking bicycle rides in the morning instead of motorcycle rides. i also have been riding my bicycle to the grocery rather than driving or taking the sv. tonight my girlfriend and i are riding our bicycles to the movies rather than driving.

lol my car still has $1.79 gas in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
since the gas has gone up i've been driving around a gear higher than i need to to keep my rpm's down... (in my car ((the sv is out of commision currently))).. i was coming home from work yesterday and noticed i was cruising at like 1k rpm. there is no power when i need it, but the less i have my foot in it the less i'll have to have my wallet in it..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
IIRC, 30 seconds is the break even point in fuel consumption between idling or shutting off and restarting. If you're going to be stopped (train, traffic jam, drive-thru, etc.) for less than 30 seconds, just idle and do not turn the engine off. If more than 30 seconds, turn off the engine and re-start when it's time to go.


Already mentioned:
Coasting-- Both downhill and when coming to a stop.

Also, eliminate jack rabbit starts and brake-go-brake-go driving.

Get a tune-up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,094 Posts
faelyur said:
i was coming home from work yesterday and noticed i was cruising at like 1k rpm.  there is no power when i need it, but the less i have my foot in it the less i'll have to have my wallet in it..
That's pretty hard on an engine (motorcycle or car) to leave it at such low RPM's. Actually, it may be even less fuel efficient at such low RPM's under load.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Y'now fellas. I spent a whole tank riding around my town loaded with stop lights and tight streets. And I got 40 mpg. Initially I was shocked because I never got that low, but when you factor in the 1/2 mile trips I have been taking and the hard riding, I think that is pretty darn good.

I wouldn't call it a problem but... the problem with having a bike that gets good gas milage is that you tend to focus on that instead of what a joy it is to ride this sweet machine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,199 Posts
keep up on the maintenance
park in the shade to prevent evaporation
park in the direction you plan to drive away in
no engine revving
when idling in traffic, turn the engine off

those tips were from the Indian Royal Enfield site a while back...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
IIRC, 30 seconds is the break even point in fuel consumption between idling or shutting off and restarting. If you're going to be stopped (train, traffic jam, drive-thru, etc.) for less than 30 seconds, just idle and do not turn the engine off. If more than 30 seconds, turn off the engine and re-start when it's time to go.


Already mentioned:
Coasting-- Both downhill and when coming to a stop.

Also, eliminate jack rabbit starts and brake-go-brake-go driving.

Get a tune-up!
30secs? now i know! thanks +1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
That's pretty hard on an engine (motorcycle or car) to leave it at such low RPM's.  Actually, it may be even less fuel efficient at such low RPM's under load.
Most of the time that's true, but if you're coasting down a hill or on a long, flat straight where you don't need to make much power, you can get by with 1000 rpm in a car. Just don't mash the throttle at low rpm like that, bad things can happen, like detonation. If you're below 1500 rpm and you're using more than 1/4 throttle, downshift, and if you notice your engine is chugging or seems to be struggling, definitely downshift.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
RPM's don't determine fuel useage. Select the gear that allows you to travel at a given speed with the least amount of throttle applied.

For a gas mileage tip? Drive the speed limit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Don't forget the tires. Inflate them properly. I've been told to run the cold pressure up to the max on the tire not the vehicle manufacture's specs, but I don't know about that. On a vehcile if you wheels are out of alignment that can have negative effects. There are a lot of little things you can do. Drive a little slower, like 60 mph or less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
I see a lot of people mention coasting down a hill. This is not a good way to save gas. If you are going downhill, use engine braking. This way there is ZERO gas being sucked into the engine, as opposed to idling with the clutch in and coasting. Granted on the SV egine braking is hardcore and you would probably lose speed unless done in 6th gear...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
751 Posts
Dont use the A/C in your car if you can help it. :) That always makes a difference in my TL. I went 78 instead of 82 on my trip to Bismarck today and that actually seemed to make a decent difference as well. thats in a car though, in my bike, if I'm cruising home from work, i'm never sitting above 4k unless i'm accelerating...and I get 50 mpg on my SV
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
With a bike's mileage, I couldn't imagine giving up a ride for fun(which can be a sanity break) or driving differently to save essentially pennies. Life's too short to try to save $100 bucks a year if that...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,333 Posts
kevinb120 said:
With a bike's mileage,  I couldn't imagine giving up a ride for fun(which can be a sanity break) or driving differently to save essentially pennies.  Life's too short to try to save $100 bucks a year if that...
depands I spent a weekend riding a 50mph pace and still found challenging roads I got 150 miles per tank instead to the 125 I normally get at the current $3.50±/gal, in 900 miles of riding I saved enuf to use 1 tank less than normal, I'll save $100 a month
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top