Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, been taking my wife out on the SV, and im finding it slightly annoying havin her back there. she doesnt ever feel like she has a good grip, i cant accelerate at all without feeling like she's gunna fly off.

she's ridden 2-up before with her dad on his V-star and harley, but he's always had a sissy bar on the back.

she said she doesnt feel comfortable wrapping her arms around me, and when she just grips my jacket and im coming to a stop, she slides forward which puts pressure on my arms, which i find REALLY annoying.

she's 4'10 115lbs, im 5'7 155lbs.

what i was thinking is that i could get a rear bag rack and bag to help, but i dunno if i wanna trust something like that. plus i hate having bags all over the SV, if i dont need them.

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
When taking off and stopping, it helps 100 times over when their hands are around you and flat against the tank. Can hang onto you when accelerating, and hands against the tank stop the sliding forward. Thats what my wife does when we go out, if we are on the highway or traffic is flowing well, she sits straight up. When we are coming to a light, she will put her hands up again. You can also have her grip the bike a little with her legs, it will help from her falling backwards.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Lots of people (including me when I had an SV) use a top case with a back pad to help the passenger. Google Givi, SW-Motech, Hepco-Barker (spelling) for ideas.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It helps a lot if she grips with her legs and puts her hands on the tank while braking.
My wife is a pro, when she rides with me I forget she is there sometimes.

·
Registered
847 Posts
+1,000,000 for hands on the tank for braking. My wife actually leaves her hands on the tank the entire time. She knows to lean forward when accelerating (because I told her). If she's used to riding on a bike the same way she sits on a couch, she's going to have trouble on a sport bike without coaching.

·
Registered
392 Posts
It helps a lot if she grips with her legs and puts her hands on the tank while braking.
My wife is a pro, when she rides with me I forget she is there sometimes.
Gripping with legs is key!! Just as we do piloting the bike. Most of the hanging on is with our legs. About the only time my wife grabs around me is when I give her two taps on the left knee signalling that I'm about to lay into the power. :vroom:

Another thing that I do is make an obvious sign that I'm about to slow down. Usually a very pronounced throttle blip with the first down shift. This is her signal to hold on with her legs.

I should add that all my two up riding lately is on my FJR which can accelerate like a boss. I have not lost her off the back yet. ;D

·
Registered
19 Posts
When taking off and stopping, it helps 100 times over when their hands are around you and flat against the tank. Can hang onto you when accelerating, and hands against the tank stop the sliding forward. Thats what my wife does when we go out, if we are on the highway or traffic is flowing well, she sits straight up. When we are coming to a light, she will put her hands up again. You can also have her grip the bike a little with her legs, it will help from her falling backwards.
Great post!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just tell my pillion to squeeze me with her thighs and that keeps her in place well. If I accelerate fast I let her know by tucking and once she does the same we zoom off. When coming to a fast stop she places her hands on the tank.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a VFR with a corbin seat & sissy bar for when I ride with the wife. It make her comfortable being back there..

·
Registered
173 Posts
Let her know you're about to accelerate by reaching back and smacking her on the @ss.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I actually prefer when the grab onto me and not the tank. gives me a more secure feeling that they wont be thrown back when i suddenly need to accelerate.

She rests her helmet on my back, so it doesnt slam into mine lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
My wife is pretty good back there, but I have a sissy bar on my GS. She does kinda zone out at times, though, and will smack her helmet into mine if she's not paying attention.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts