Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEVER RIDE ANYWHERE NEAR DUMP TRUCKS.

This is one of my rules and just about the time I was realizing I was behind a dump truck a typical dump truck moment happened. A really large, I would say the size of a medium sized melon, mud clod that also contained good sized rocks dropped off the right rear above the tire. I was in my cage today b/c rain is expected. I daily drive a micro beast of a autox car, a lowered with adj. shocks Miata, that allowed me eh agility to barely dodge this clod. After learning to be very aware of my surroundings from riding bike I knew the right lane was totally clear and w/o even doing a mirror check I hit the right lane. Car behind me...PLASTERED. I noticed at least two cracks in the windshield and the nose and hood took it hard.

I tried to imagine if I had been on my bike what would I have done. For one I would not have been in that lane or that position in relation to any cage whatsoever. Had I been thought with jacket, gloves, and helmet (which have recently become a must have items even if just going to the store) I think I would have faired ok. The bike on the other hand I don't know. Broken headlight...maybe more... Just my 2 cent tip to try to give back b/c I have learned so much on here in the past (like the need for gloves and at least a jacket at all times.)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Good idea. Same goes for any 18 wheeler. They can throw some stones at you off the shoulder. :(

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
Shit, I was behind a dump truck once and all this damn debri kept flying off and hitting me. Even with my helmet on dust and gains were smacking me in the face and making the ride difficult.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I think we need to sticky this and start a daily Tip of the Day. Stuff that someone may not remember, or be thinking about, or that is rare (put potentially highly harmful).

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Don't forget cement trucks either. I saw one on the freeway yesterday, blissfully leaving a trail of wet cement behind it. Fortunately, I was two lanes away on my SV at the time.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nimbus that is a pretty damn good idea. We were just talking yesterday on a diff. thread that went off in a tangent about things learned on this site that helped out in emergency situations.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or garbage trucks. I once pulled off a real dangerous pass to get around a garbage truck that was just spewing this toxic fluid of shit out the back that was the most horrid stuff I have ever smelled. I was going to work too and had good cloths on and this thing was trying to merge right in front of me at about 70mph. I hammered it and split between cars to get around this guy but hell NO was I going to put myself in that oil slick of shit. Best case scenario I spent the day at work smelling like shit worst case I crashed in his oil slick of spew. You know that old joke from mothers about wearing clean underwear in case you get in a accident. Had I crashed in this crap my undies could have had a huge # 11 in there a inch thick and it would not have even benn noticable to the medics.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dumptruck took out a guy here in DC a few weeks ago. Sounded like the truck went to make a wide right turn, the biker tried to get by him on the right. He didn't make it.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I go through this nearly every morning on a relatively busy country road where new neighborhoods are being developed. On this one-lane road I make a point to hang out behind them a good ways until I see a good opportunity to pass (legally... except I generally hit 90MPH in a 55 while passing).
This morning was one of the worst. Three trucks in a row. The worst was the 18 wheeler dump truck loaded up with rocks and dust. I don't even play around anymore. As soon as I see them, I drop gear and blast by.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Nimbus said:
I think we need to sticky this and start a daily Tip of the Day. Stuff that someone may not remember, or be thinking about, or that is rare (put potentially highly harmful).

I am in contact with the mods/admin about this sort of thing. Maybe an entire forum or section on roadcraft or the mental aspects of streetriding...

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't remember what it was but a friend of mine had something sizeable fall off a semi and nail him right in the windshield. He was doing 120+ at the time and it really taught him a lesson about dangers and relative velocities, as he nearly crapped himself and the left side windshield trim blew off in an instant.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Good tip. I like the idea of a sticky thread with a tip of the day.

I work in an industrial park so on my daily commute I usually encounter a billion (well maybe more like 50 or 60) dumptrucks, cement trucks, tractor trailers, and most importantly, idiot's in cages talking on phones while drinking coffee while smoking, while reading, while fighting with their wives, while typing on their STUPID Blackberries.....man i hate those things. Anyway, my point being that every little tip will probably be useful sometime....

C.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts