Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many of you guys/gals have em, and if so do you ride w/ them at night?

today was the first day i got a new Gold Mirrored visor for my shoei (dark, but not VERY dark tinted IMO)...i got caught riding at night...at first i couldnt see anything but then when i got to some lighted roads, it wasnt bad at all

I had to keep it down because i had my contacts in and if i even cracked it i found i was gettin sand, etc in my eyes....

i was thinking about gettin a pair of clear glasses maybe and riding w/ the visor up so i don't get in this situation again since most of my riding is during the day, and i will only occasionally get caught out at night on the bike (even though it is 10x nicer to ride since it's not so damn hot)

thoughts?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
clear shield for night riding is a necessity, I wouldn't own a mirrored or iridium shield, they coating wears off too easy
also I haven't wasted my time with a light smoke, I have a dark smoke that I wouldn't mid if it were even darker especially for winter white conditions

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have a two tone fading blue into silver visor on my "show" helmet. (The one I wore at the Rally)

My other helmet has clear for night riding. That way I don't have to change them out. I like my tinted one for day riding. It makes riding off into the sunset much more enjoyable. ;D

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had a few different ones... Couldn't stand it at night like these guys have said..

plus I didn't like it back in the mountains especially on really bright days because the shadows on the road from trees did weird things to it.. was sorta like my eyes didn't have time to adjust back and forth from "LIGHT" to "SHADED" areas with them or something... Plus in darker shaded areas I just plain couldn't see good.

I wear glasses (cant' stand contacts, especially on the bike) so I bought a pair of Bolle Vigilante wraparounds that you can attach a prescription lense into.. I normally wear those when riding.. and if it gets dark I can just pop the tinted lenses out and still have the prescriptions.

I used to try to use my normal glasses but I always ended up looking over the top of them anyway..

plus.. and I can't prove this.. but one particularly hot/sunny day one spot on both of my cheeks just under my eyes got really hot after a bit of riding.. like you stuck a cigerette on them... I swear I think the normal glasses were working like a magnifying glass for the sun onto my cheek.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have a clear on my HJC and a dark smoke on my Scorpion. HJC is typically for night use, but I was caught out after dark with the Scorpion last week. Had to ride some dark stretches of interstate prior to making it back into the city, but my 90/135 watt light allowed me to see everything great with the shield down at 75-80 mph. I didn't make too many friends with the high beam on but meh....they'll get over it.

FWIW I also use a pair of Oakley M-Frames with a vented clear lens when I use the Scorpion. Makes riding through town or dusk conditions more safe as I'll sometimes have the shield up. Anything over 45 mph though and the shield is down (hence the bright light ;D)

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have both clear and tinted for my HJC and they change out easily in seconds. When I commute to work, I carry the clear visior in my backpack just in case. I switched today before the ride home because the radar had some t-storms in the direction I was heading. I did catch some rain, but it was brief. Couple months ago I got caught in an all out downpour and the tinted visor added to visibilty difficulties (since the dark clouds blocked out most sunlight). I always use clear at night.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a tinted and a clear which I swap on my Shoei.
Riding at night with a dark smoke isn't much fun, and riding with it up is too much risk of bugs etc getting in my eyes,
so If i'm likely to be out until it gets dark I take the clear along in a backpack

·
Registered
198 Posts
I carry my clear with me if I know I'll be caught after sundown. Round here you never know when deer will run out in front of you around some dark canyon road. During the day I have my dark smoke visor or sometimes my (pain in the ass) mirror "bling" visor. I also wear glasses and the mirror one sometimes causes stray internal reflections that drive me crazy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
have a tinted and it sucks at night with it down. You can see stuff, but lose detail such as bumps and divots which can be hard on the family jewels if you hit them unexpectedly.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I've got both the clear visor that came with my Shoei RF-800 and a blue reflective irridium visor. I've had the blue shield since I bought the helmet about 5 years ago. Still looks good, minus a few nicks and scratches from stones/bugs. The mirror coating hasn't worn off though. So, don't know about that theory.

I ride with the clear one at night. Even with streetlights, it's just more safe. Someone said they carry both shields with them "just in case". Great idea! I do the same, cause sometimes I never know how late I'll be out/stuck in traffic. I almost always ride with my backpack on, so it's not much of a hassle to carry extra things like that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've also got both a clear shield and a tinted one for my arai, which switch out fast and with ease. Sometimes if I'm lazy, and know i'm gonna be out at night, I'll wear the clear shield and wear my sunglasses underneath.

Otherwise, for those of you who don't like having backpacks, another way to carry the extra shiled is to put it inside your jacket, around the side of your torso. It wraps around nicely for me, and I don't even notice its there.

·
Registered
171 Posts
WARNING TO ALL

Up till about a month ago, I had a tinted visor on my custom painted helmet ($1000 paint job).  I got caught riding in the dark, and thought I could see fine with it down until a curve came up and it was a lot sharper than it looked.  The result was a lowside into the ditch.  The helmet is now officially toast.  As for the bike - it looks like about $2000 in damage.

So please, take my advise and -- N E V E R -- ride in the dark with your tinted visor. 

P.S. if you just have to have a tinted visor, don't set your helmet on your mirror.  It will scratch the tint off the inside of the helmet and will drive you nuts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I ride w/ mirror shield and sunglasses during the day (eyes are apparently very sensitive to sunlight) and at night i switch my glasses to clear ones.

If it gets dark, I flip the shield and I can see again.

Q

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have been to bike week in Daytona when the cops would give you a ticket for riding with out eye protection(in an open face helmet), and if you were wearing sunglasses or a dark shield at night.

About 10 of us left a restaurant about 9 one night and the cops drove up as we were leaving and checked our lids and three guys got warnings for having tinted shields and no replacement clear Shields on hand. Said if they pulled us over at night while we were riding, they would have given them a ticket.

Apparently a state law in Florida.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a tinted for my HJC, and didn't like it much. aside from the night riding problem... It had a lot of glare even during the day that I didn't like. I just use a clear one all the time now. Makes life a little easier.

·
Registered
272 Posts
merlot said:
I have both clear and tinted for my HJC and they change out easily in seconds. ... I always use clear at night.
+1

Got stuck somewhere with my tinted (well mirrored - but tinted, same diff-ish) then it got dark - drove home and almost couldn't see the lines on the road, had to use my brights whenever I could - now if theres the most remote chance it'll get dark - i'll take the clear with some sunglasses (or without for the time being - I lost mine rafting last weekend =) sweet time tho)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have a tinted visor and i wear it all the time, i can see out of it probably about, 80% at night, i know its not safe but i live in a pretty well lit area so its ok.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I don't understand how some of you use tinted visors at night. I hope you all ride slower. I know I usually look past where my headlights hit the street to see possible reflections from eyes (ie animals) or other objects. That seems it would be downright impossible with a tinted shield.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts