Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lately it has been really bright out and i have been wanting to try a tinted faceshield. i was curious to see about people's experiences with various tints and shades. the two tint options i have for my particular helmet are "smoke" and "dark smoke". the one thing that i am worried about is that the dark smoke version might be to dark and could possibly hinder my riding at times. any input or suggestions are appreciated. thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i have a tinted faceshield, and when i ride twisties, i hate it. It throws me off when i go through a dark shadow, and then theres a bright patch, and so on.Its hard to keep a line. But, when just riding through town or something, i love it. its personal opinion, imho.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
i got a gold mirror and a blue mirror shield, and i love it. i dont have any problems through twisites with shadows, or i may just be really used to it. sometimes i stay out too late and have to ride home at night with it, its not even that bad than, kinda dark, but not too bad

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
The dark is great for bright day riding (and keeping the sunburn off your face). The light smoke color doesn't provide enough protection and isn't good in the dark either. I'd get the dark and keep a pair of safety glasses around in case you find yourself still out when its dark.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Check your local laws too, because you can be ticketed at night for driving with a tinted shield (in the down position).
I have a clear shield with a 1" strip of black electrical tape across the top to act as a sun visor. I wear sunglasses during the day and if the sun is gettin low, just tilt your head and its out of the way.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool thanks for the input guys. i'll probably buy the dark smoke one and try it out.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Watch the different tints for UV protection. IIRC, Arai and Shoei are the only two that provide UVA/UVB protection. I've ridden in bright sun for 8+ hrs at a stretch in my clear Arai and have had no issues with sunburn. I prefer wearing sunglasses under the shield though as I can easily change lenses depending on different conditions.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
i love my dark smoke shield. I dont think i can ever go back to cramming glasses under my lid ever again. The majority of my riding is in center city philly and i can manage to ride with it on at all times on the well lit streets, but safetey glasses are a must for the few night time, country riding.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just a couple of warnings:
- I had a tinted shield but I rested it on my mirror and it scratched the crap out of the inside of it
- It also prevented me from seing a sharp curve at night and I lowsided because of it
So, DO NOT drive with it in the dark and be aware that it scratches really easily

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have both and love them! No problem with either! The light smoke can be worn at night, but the dark smoke is too dark for evening riding. During the day I love them, helps keep the glare down and improves vision.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had a dark smoke before, its really hard to see in it at night and IMHO its too dark even for riding during day( unless your in the middle of the Sahara). I switched to a regular smoked now, and love it. After a few seconds with it down I hardly notice it at all. But it still blocks the sun, glare and UVs just fine, plus if you'r stuck with it at night, its not too bad for riding the highway, just don't keep it down for anything tricky at night... BTW if you are woried about looks, they both look solid black from the outside when they are down.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i have both but prob use the light smoke the most.

no one's mentioned the best part.

oooooggggling girls and not getting caught ::) ::) ::)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I just switched over to a "dark smoke", although it's more of a medium than dark. I always wear my sunglasses during the day, and carry a pair of clear safety glasses with me at all times in case I have to ride home in the dark. It's probably my helmet, but I absolutely hate riding without some form of glasses on, whether they be the sunglasses or safety glasses. Whenever I've ridden without them, I usually end up getting random shit in my eyes, which is not fun.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Id suggest a dark smoke one.

I have a light smoke one and its not dark enough for bright days. Still way too much glare. I still have to wear sunglasses under it. Its possible to ride at night with it, but not a real good idea. light or regular smoke is okay for overcast days, but not much else.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I use a dark almost all the time in the daylight. I carry a clear in my tank bag for night time. I wear a dark even in foggy conditions. It is easier on my eye's. Even racing at Sears Point on heavy over cast days I wore a dark shield. But everybodies different. Some like darks, some don't.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a Suomy with dark and clear shields. I love riding with the dark shield (for some reason it's not too bad in the shadows), but Suomy shields are such a pain in the butt to change, so I got one of these instead:

http://www.polar-optics.com/

Quick on/off, I leave the clear shield on all the time, if I'm riding at dusk I can just pull over and throw it in my jacket when the sun goes down.

The best part: it's polarized, so you can see through the glare of car windshields to see if the nuts are actually turning their hends in prep for an emergency lane change. 

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
KancerKid said:
i have a tinted faceshield, and when i ride twisties, i hate it. It throws me off when i go through a dark shadow, and then theres a bright patch, and so on.Its hard to keep a line. But, when just riding through town or something, i love it. its personal opinion, imho.
on the other hand, if you use a clear one, the sunny spots are blinding... sometimes I cant even see oncomming traffic... especially late in the day when the sun is setting

if its sunny out, i have to use my tinted shield.. its great. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wear a dark smoke shield on my shoei most of the time,
but they're no fun at all in the dark.
if there's a chance you'll be out after sunset put your clear on or take some safety glasses.
A dark smoke shield is like trying to drive with sunglasses on at night

·
Registered
53 Posts
dackler said:
Check your local laws too, because you can be ticketed at night for driving with a tinted shield (in the down position).
I have a clear shield with a 1" strip of black electrical tape across the top to act as a sun visor. I wear sunglasses during the day and if the sun is gettin low, just tilt your head and its out of the way.
I think you could be ticketed for no eye protection as well, if it were in the position.

I have a dark smoke, love it. Had a mirrored visor, scratches way to easy & cost more than the dark smoke.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts