Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another question from the newbie..... Will installing a timing advance on my 99 650 be worth the money. I have a slip-on and am planning on a jet kit. If so where can i find one.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Worth the money for what? If you are track racing then any small performance improvement is a good thing. If you are riding on the street the various improvements you are talking about will not make a practical difference. Yeah, people rave about the magnificent performance increase, but in fact it's only around 10% and you shouldn't be pushing that hard on the street anyway. All those improvements will hurt your mileage (somewhat dramatically if you do them all). Only you can decide if it's worth all the drawbacks. If you are a newbie you should be concentrating on that soft bit sitting on top of the bike.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just a newbie to the sv. Ive been riding for 8 years or so. And I don't track race. I want to join a local stunt team and drag once in a while.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
joker said:
I want to join a local stunt team and drag once in a while.
The SV is wrong bike for stunting. Most twins are. The SV in particular suffers from oil starvation when put on one wheel for extended periods.

It's not a matter of if stunting will detonate your SV motor - it's when.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OH. Well that sucks because besides the oil, from what I hear, the sv is the perfect stunt bike

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Leaving aside the stunt potential, I seriously rate the 4 degree ignition advance for street work. It's dirt cheap, it's (fairly) straightforward and it gives you more power and torque where you want it. A lot of people seem to dislike it because it doesn't do much (if anything) for peak- personally I'd sooner have the wider, moreusable torque curve than another 5bhp on top any day for street use.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't mean to threadjack, but I read the section on how to do it in the Tips section, and i couldn't figure out what it was supposed to accomplish and how it works. Anyone care to enlighten me? What are the downsides?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts