Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for suggestions for replacement parts. Go OEM or are there better products definately worth the investement? i ride her every single day. i am new to motorcycling and i love the 650. i personally don't have a problem with any performace parts just some aesthetics (exhaust).

I use my bike for:

Commuting 20+ miles each day

Fairly aggressive riding in the TX hill country (for my level at least i try to push the envelope when i have the chance)

A few 500 - 1000 mile trips

Things i know i need/want to replace:
Tires (pirelli?)
Exhaust ??????
Mirrors (napoleon)

things i hear make the bike much better:
new shocks
new forks
new break lines
new breaks

please if you have information let me know b/c there are hundreds of products for each of these and i would like to know what are the best/affordable.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
So far, i have not owned a pirelli tire i havent liked...

Running the Rosso's now, getting 7500+ miles out of them and they stick like all getout

Exhaust...meh, i just keep stock....

Mirrors....no idea, i haev stock, they work for me...

I am installing a 07 ZX-10R rear shock and new springs/emulators/oil in the front - cant wait to feel the changes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also the springs/emulators/oil in the front...did those already exist and you are replacing? or are you adding something totally new to your forks? sorry i just don't know about these things yet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Springs and oil are already in the forks. Generally depending on rider weight the springs are to soft and the oil weight is not heavy enough. Emulators are an add on. Look under the FAQ section under suspension, and others for that matter. Lots of good reading.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Suspension first. Go to the FAQ section under suspension and you will find a wealth of information. Springs (if you weigh more than 150#) and emulators (look up Traxxion Dynamics) up front and either a repurposed or aftermarket shock in the rear are the best changes you can make.

SV brakes are very good already. In testing with professional riders, the SV was 4th out of 75+ in short braking distance. Change to stainless lines when you need to replace the stock lines. Stainless lines will not make as big a difference as keeping fresh fluid in the systems (gravity bleed once a year).

Exhausts are big money for little benefit. Instead of spending big on exhaust, consider an aftermarket shock (Elka, Penske, Ohlins).

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you have the time do the GSXR front fork mod.

I would also get a Gear indicator. I think the Gear indicator was the best investment I've ever made. It's really good when your looking for that "seventh gear" that doesn't exist. I'd also get a Corbin seat if your computing that much. Your a$$ will thank you.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Tires: Dunlop Roadsmarts. Dual compound that gives long tread life in center (commuting, trips) and good stick on the sides (cornering). Highly recommended.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Springs and oil are already in the forks. Generally depending on rider weight the springs are to soft and the oil weight is not heavy enough. Emulators are an add on. Look under the FAQ section under suspension, and others for that matter. Lots of good reading.
i appreciate that. i wil check the FAQ!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Suspension first. Go to the FAQ section under suspension and you will find a wealth of information. Springs (if you weigh more than 150#) and emulators (look up Traxxion Dynamics) up front and either a repurposed or aftermarket shock in the rear are the best changes you can make.

SV brakes are very good already. In testing with professional riders, the SV was 4th out of 75+ in short braking distance. Change to stainless lines when you need to replace the stock lines. Stainless lines will not make as big a difference as keeping fresh fluid in the systems (gravity bleed once a year).

Exhausts are big money for little benefit. Instead of spending big on exhaust, consider an aftermarket shock (Elka, Penske, Ohlins).
Great info thanks! i know from reading there are some excellent things about the SV and some not so excellent (suspension). I will check the FAQ!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have the time do the GSXR front fork mod.

I would also get a Gear indicator. I think the Gear indicator was the best investment I've ever made. It's really good when your looking for that "seventh gear" that doesn't exist. I'd also get a Corbin seat if your computing that much. Your a$$ will thank you.
I have been wondering about the GSXR front fork mod...cost, actual modifications. Are they easy to aquire?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tires: Dunlop Roadsmarts. Dual compound that gives long tread life in center (commuting, trips) and good stick on the sides (cornering). Highly recommended.
nice thanks! i listed what i do with the bike in hope i would receive appropriate responses! I appreciate your feedback!

·
Registered
680 Posts
You bet. And definitely read through the FAQ section. Look also at the "sticky" posts. They were turned into stickies for a reason, too. Welcome to the boards. Learned a lot from here myself.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have been wondering about the GSXR front fork mod...cost, actual modifications. Are they easy to aquire?
Not at all IMO. Ebay has a billion options. It's really up to you. I'd probably get a front end with radial brakes if your going to go through with it, but the old style brakes will work just as well. It's really not that hard of a mod. You could do it in a day if you had all of the parts. The hardest part is the speedo sensor mod (but that is pretty easy IMO).

There is plenty of info on it on this very forum. You'll probably pay for most of the parts just by selling your original front end. That's what I did. SV front rims and forks fetch a pretty nice price on Ebay.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

I just replaced my regular bleeders with speed bleeders and bled the system. I think this was the first bleeding of the brakes since new. It was dirty and now looks nice and clean. :) Those speed bleeders make it so much easier. ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts