Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the SV, it does everything I ask (on the street at least), it's cheap, it rarely has problems (not caused by me), and has endured me learning how to really ride, and work on, a bike-without exploding into a ball of flames.

But I feel it's time to move on. Don't panic, I'm almost certain I'm not getting rid of it though. At most, I will give it to my buddy to learn on, but it will not be leaving my possession.

I'd like to get used to a larger and more powerful bike (2 years and 20k of street riding), but not ridiculously so. Mostly for the street, in fact, solely for the street for now I suspect.

So likely, a sport touring bike, in the 800cc range, anything larger will be heavy, and too expensive. I'm fairly large, about 6'3" at 190ish lbs.

I've done a bit of searching, and there doesn't seem to be many options in my price range, around $4-6K

It seems, that an F800ST fits exactly what I'm looking for...except that it's a BMW, which means I likely won't be able to do all of my own maintenance (yes, I did my own valves on the SV, I would say thats about all the complicated I'd rather do in the garage). And the VFR800 is too bulky for the commuting I do it seems, and I don't really like the complication of the v-tech on a bike.

1000cc is probably too big a step...and insurance would kill me.

I'm not opposed to any brand really. I'd like to get a new Tiger 800, but won't have $$$ for a new bike any time soon, and there's no used ones I can find anywhere.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
85 Posts
just looked up FZ8, it looks sick bro......
IchBinGott!:
not hijacking the thread but when you said insurance would kill me,
how big is the difference when you are moving 650 to 1 litre. i am just curious

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Don't think just because you're going up in engine size insurance will be super high, depends on the type of bike as well.

SV650 to R1, yes of course insurance will skyrocket

SV650 to FZ1, insurance will go up but much less

Jot down about 5 different bikes you're considering, and then get an insurance quote for all 5 bikes. It might make the list a little shorter

·
Registered
299 Posts
I don't think stepping up to a liter bike would be too much for you, especially since you're not looking for a sportbike next. Not sure about the insurance, but I don't think it'd be that much worse.

My coworker replaced his SV with a FZ1 after it got knocked over in the parking lot, and he's pretty happy with the switch.

·
Registered
427 Posts
For $6,000 you can have an '06-'08 Triumph Daytona 675, and might be able to find an '08 Street Triple. (D675's resale is a little less than the Striple) Either bike (same basic engine) will give you that kick in the pants you're looking for. :)

Don't know who your insurance company is, but State Farm goes by cc, so you don't pay a penalty if it's a supersport or not.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
The SV1K would be almost as cheap to insure as the 650, and would deliver a lot of what you are asking of your next bike. Just looking at it from a purely mechanical standpoint...it is everything you like about the 650 and more. But you probably have the urge for something different....so good luck with your shopping.:)

·
Super Moderator
7,038 Posts
For $6,000 you can have an '06-'08 Triumph Daytona 675, and might be able to find an '08 Street Triple. (D675's resale is a little less than the Striple) Either bike (same basic engine) will give you that kick in the pants you're looking for. :)
A buddy of mine just bought a '07 Daytona 675 for around 5K, and I got a chance to take a spin on it the other night. Sounds amazing, and feels sharp and quick revving, but the seating position is WAY too aggressive for me. It felt like I was doing a stoppie the entire time.

Street Triple might be just right...

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SV1000 is something I considered, as well as the V-Strom with both engines.

But ultimately, yes, I'm looking for something new, mostly to learn new skills/get used to larger bikes.

I'm still keeping the SV, because it does currently fit my 'needs' ....just now 'wants' ;)

I wondered if an FZ8 existed, since I've seen both the FZ6 and FZ1...but when I did a quick google search, it seemed it wasn't sold in the US

.....but....

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/mcy/3203968552.html

I will have to check into that.

As for insurance, the SV (03 naked), costs about $36 a month. Most 1k bikes I check are around 2-3 times that. But that's not with a VIN, so may be wrong.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
A buddy of mine just bought a '07 Daytona 675 for around 5K, and I got a chance to take a spin on it the other night. Sounds amazing, and feels sharp and quick revving, but the seating position is WAY too aggressive for me. It felt like I was doing a stoppie the entire time.

Street Triple might be just right...
lol...... My other bike is a 675... And yes it's not a comfy daily driver... It's a nice weekend warrior. But for all practical purposes, its just not.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do like the Daytona/Street Tripple....they just seem a little small (physical size, not engine), and too aggressive seating for me...but, I might still take one for a test ride at some point

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
"Predictable" I don't understand what that means... ..
Aren't all engines predictable..?.Open throttle it goes, close throttle it slows..?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts