Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a little problem with my righthand side mirror.

The thing keeps working itself loose while I'm riding.

Is there a specific way to tighten it up and keep it in place?

I tried just turning it to tighten it, it works for a minute, then it works itself back loose again. My lefthand side mirror stays in place just fine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Either purchase new bolts that go in the mirror, or get some locktite...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just ordered a set of bar end mirrors for the bike. Bye-bye stockers! Things were ugly as sin anyway.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Having a little problem with my righthand side mirror.

The thing keeps working itself loose while I'm riding.

Is there a specific way to tighten it up and keep it in place?

I tried just turning it to tighten it, it works for a minute, then it works itself back loose again. My lefthand side mirror stays in place just fine.
i had exactly the same problem, also (strangely) with the right mirror only. i solved it by taking off the mirror, removing the nut from the stud, then fitting a thick plumbing washer up over the stud to squeeze between the base of the mirror arm and the re-fitted nut. i was impatient, so i just trimmed up an oversize toilet tank washer i had in the shop downstairs but the 'proper' washer would be 3mm (1/8") thick, 3/4" or 7/8" OD (~20mm), with a 1/4" (6mm) hole. works a treat...

cheers,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same problem with my mirror and it was also on the right side. Went with the bar end mirrors and never looked back.

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
14mm wrench is your friend to solve this problem, at least until you get your new mirrors.

Your tool kit has the needed wrench in it. My mirrors are tight now.

I think I'm gonna hold off on installing my bar end mirrors until I get new bars.

·
Registered
253 Posts
14mm wrench is your friend to solve this problem
jdc, the issue is not that the nut holding the mirror assembly to its perch is loose. that can be as tight as you want and the movement of the mirror arm will not be eliminated. the problem is that the mirror arm swivels on the upper end of the stud, held in position by friction-fit (a rubber bushing, i presume?) between the stud and the 'casing' of the mirror arm. there's no way to adjust the amount of that friction, but there IS a solution - add friction by squeezing a rubber washer under the rotating part of the mirror arm. count yourself amongst the lucky majority who do not suffer the problem!

cheers,

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jdc, the issue is not that the nut holding the mirror assembly to its perch is loose. that can be as tight as you want and the movement of the mirror arm will not be eliminated. the problem is that the mirror arm swivels on the upper end of the stud, held in position by friction-fit (a rubber bushing, i presume?) between the stud and the 'casing' of the mirror arm. there's no way to adjust the amount of that friction, but there IS a solution - add friction by squeezing a rubber washer under the rotating part of the mirror arm. count yourself amongst the lucky majority who do not suffer the problem!

cheers,
All I had to do is tighten the nuts at the base of the arm, and at the top of the arm by the actual mirror and it solved the problem.

Stock mirrors are going away soon enough. Getting new bars, and have bar end mirrors for them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts