Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I get tie down straps at a decent price to secure SV to a pickup?
Also need a ramp for loading & unloading.

I dont have time to wait for shipping after ordering online.
Please help.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Places like Bass Pro shops, Northern Tool, and probably Sears have ramps. Target and Wal-Mart sell ratcheting straps. You'll need at the very least, 2... one for each fork/bar/slider in the front. But 4 would be better, just so you can keep the back end from moving around.

Posting up where you live would be helpfull.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Bike shops usually have both. I bought a folding aluminum ramp at my local Honda shop for $50

Ancra tie-downs with a set of Soft-ties always worked well for me.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Ratchet tie down straps can be found in many locations as stated above.

I would highly suggest using 4 not just two at the front. Do all 4 corners of the bike. The bike will likely shift around a bit and one of the straps may loosen. If you're only using two and one loosens or breaks, you're fooked.

Also, keep the kickstand down once the bike is strapped in. It just might save your bacon if the right side straps fail.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Go to Lowe's get a couple of 2X8's and the bolt on ramp ends the sell there. I've had mine for 5 years, usedthem to load and unload all kinds of crap from the back opf my truck, work great, cost about $30 total.

Also, when you tie the bike down, leave it in gear, and when you untie the bike, undo the right side first so the weight shifts onto the kickstand!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a set of soft straps.. They are great for bike and such where you don't want the metal (rubber coated) hook touching the bike.. (vibrations of the road will cause scratch wear)..

At the end where the hook is, they have a extra bit of webbing with a loop in it.. You wrap that extra around your handle bars or swing arm, and then put the hook thru the loop and tighten.. Soft so it doesn't scratch and soild hold (hook isn't going to pop off, or slide or scratch)

Before I had them, I went and got strong webbing belt and sewwed them into 6" loops. I wrapped the loops around the bars (over the bars then thru the loop) and hooked it to those straps.. No scratches and cheaper then the soft straps.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I've loaded and unloaded my bike a couple times without a ramp. (a scrap of plywood helps) If you find the right spot, you can get the truck nearly the same height as the ground and roll the bike on or off. I've backed into shallow ditches, against small hills, retaining wall, etc.

A steep ramp up to a truck is pretty scary so whatever you can do to reduce the height and distance is helpful.

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Don't buy cheap sh*t tie downs from WalMart or anything like them. That crap breaks ALL THE TIME. If they have not broken on you yet while towing....trust me, they will!

Get ANCRA tie downs from a cycle shop or from CycleGear They're like $24 a pair. They are the best you can get and designed for motorcycles. They've been around forever, too. When you see them in comparison to the ratchet crap you get all WalMart, you'll see a huge difference in materials quality. The Canyon Dancer strap is also a great tool for certain loading conditions.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks guys...luckily I was able to borrow ramp & straps from my neighbour who owns a triumph 675...and transported my SV 130 miles safely in a cargo van...the seller helped load it up the ramp...and I'm really surprised I unloaded it myselft without any drops.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Instead of a canyon dancer, we use the CycleCinch. Instead of pulling across the grips, you're simply pulling down.

I also use a Baxley Sportchock in the bed of the pickup. It doesn't have to be mounted to the bed of the truck. We usually put a board between the front of the bed and the chock to make sure there is no contact between the truck and the bike. Drive up the ramp into the chock and it stands up vertically while you use tiedowns to secure it.

I bought the ramp ends from Northern Tool, mounted them to 8' 1 x 10s, and they work great.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.