Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ticking sound??---------SOLVED!! thanks everyone

well after my crash and i put my bike back together i noticed a weird ticking sound, kind of like when you put a baseballl card in the spokes of a bicycle, i have checked the chain, the front tire's cover, other plastics. i havnt been able to diagnose this, i dropped the bike on the right side if that helps, the only other dammage i have seen is my radiator being bent but i dont see it getting in the way of anything. anyone have any idea of what it may be?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that would suck, thanks for the heads up, i will check that next.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do you hear the tick only when riding, or do you hear it when the bike is stationary?
That info will help alot in diagnosing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
while riding, i can hear it very well in 3rd gear but it starts in 2nd. after that its kind of hard to hear b/c of the wind noise but i am able to tell its there the entire ride. stationary there is no abnormal sounds.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
Is the pitch of the noise speed-dependent?
Is it RPM-dependent?
Is the pitch constant?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im going to go out now and answer those questions, i will be back in a few minutes. from what i remember the ticking or what you call pitch is constant, i am going to check on RPM dependencies and speed dependencies

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, with the clutch pulled in and no stress on the engine/xmsn, there is not ticking sound. when i start to put stress on the engine and accelerate, the tick comes in at 4k RPM in any gear. if i release the throttle and let it start winding down the ticking sound starts to go away, as soon as i am back on the throttle it will come back if im above 4k. the tick is always the same.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
I asked about the pitch because if the pitch varies, it would generally vary with the rotational speed of whatever componenbt is making it. (I.e. if its in a wheel, pitch would be directly speed dependnet. If it were an engine rotational component- it would be rpm related.) What does "starts to go away" mean? Loudness? Pitch?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
loudness would be the best way to put "starts to go away." the pitch stays the same as far as i can tell.

·
Registered
55 Posts
HHmm.. tricky..
So here's my thought process on this one:
If it were an exhaust leak, you'd hear it while stationary - so it's not that.
clutch pulled in, no tick indicates that it's probably not wheels or brakes..
Chain is unlikely because of the same reason, but under load I suppose it could still be the chain.
The only thing I can think of is maybe the cam chain because that would be RPM dependant and could be quiet while stationary, but the ones I've heard can't usually be described as a ticking noise.
Are you sure you're not just being paranoid about a sound that was already there before you dropped your bike? Normal valve train noise can sound like a tick.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im pretty certain im not being paranoid-my mechanical background:
Ch-46E helicopter test crew chief/mechanic. we are trained to listen for different sounds and whatnot to diagnose. next time i go to an SV meetup i will be sure to have someone ride my bike to make sure i am not being paranoid, but the sound just doesnt sound like a natural sound i heard before the wreck. at first i thought it was the plastics i installed rubbing against something or being fluttered by the wind, but i cant feel it or see anywhere that it can happen.

·
Registered
55 Posts
No worries, I wasn't doubting you - just trying to rule out everything.
I'm at a loss.. one thing that I'm not clear on. You say that the noise comes back at 4k RPM and stays the same ? The noise doesn't speed up with higher RPM?

Could it be wind blowing your brake lines against your forks or triples? I had a case where the vibration from my other bike at a certain RPM/speed caused my cables to rattle against the front mask on my bike.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
as far as i can tell it doesnt speed up with higher RPM's. on at 4k, stays on until i release the throttle, if RPM's are above 4k and i roll back on the throttle it starts up again. i think im going to take off some fairings tomorrow, see if its the plastics that is doing it, maybe they arent tight enough or something...its time to start ruling **** out that is cheap to fix. i really do appreciate your help and suggestions, i am taking all of it and using it to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Since it doesn't speed up with higher RPM and it doesn't make the sound while stationary, I think you can probably rule out the engine and exhaust. What would be interesting would be to put it on a dyno and see if it makes the sound there, since the motor would be under load but not subject to wind. That said, I think you're on the right track, I think it's most likely either the plastics or a cable that is getting wind buffeted or responding to the resonant frequency of your motor at 4k RPM and up...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey guys, just wanted to let you know that i found the problem, the windscreen is causing it, i now have to find the proper installation of it to see where i went wrong, i want to thank everyone that was trying to help me, taught me a lot on troubleshooting of a motorcycle. its a whole new beast for me and i feel like i was able to learn a lot just from your input.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
hey guys, just wanted to let you know that i found the problem, the windscreen is causing it, i now have to find the proper installation of it to see where i went wrong, i want to thank everyone that was trying to help me, taught me a lot on troubleshooting of a motorcycle. its a whole new beast for me and i feel like i was able to learn a lot just from your input.
good thing..
i was gonna ask you if your motor seized yet

1 - 20 of 20 Posts