Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hearing a ticking noise coming from the motor(I think..?), I was just wondering if this was the timing chain? It seems to run with the cylinders. At an idle it is pretty loud, then goes away (mostly due to the noise from the motor) as i accelerate. I have never noticed this before..BTW I did just put on my 1k snorkel.

Sorry if this has been brought up before:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh man dude that's totally and completely
.Normal ;D. Mine does it, my brother's does it and it's a commonly asked question on here. You're good to go!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thats normal. Read about it here: http://www.svrider.com/tips/ticking.htm

What's that ticking sound?
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999
This has got to be everybody's first question. The short answer is that the SV has noisy cam chain tensioners. A few riders have reported having them replaced but the majority live with it and have experienced no further problems.

We will have to wait and see if Suzuki recalls the bike like they did with the GSXR's my guess is that they won't.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yup, my bike developed the ticking at about 200 miles, and now im used to it. Also, it doesnt tick anywhere near as bad as my old GS500 did.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Never one to not take the opportunity to use one of my favorite sayings.....

What you're hearing is the valvetrain. Totally normal. In fact....

Valvetrains are like children. If you can't hear them - there's probably something wrong.

·
Registered
359 Posts
shake55 said:
maybe it is your conscience. Does the same thing happen when you are sitting alone in your room thinking of life regrets?
Wohhh buddy.. back up... That sounds like a personal problem! ;D :-*

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ruefus said:
Never one to not take the opportunity to use one of my favorite sayings.....

What you're hearing is the valvetrain. Totally normal. In fact....

Valvetrains are like children. If you can't hear them - there's probably something wrong.

So true, So true.... :) I have 20 month old girl, And a boy on the way. If I don't hear her playing, somethings trashed.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey guys,

I have an 03 SVS and noticed the ticking as well. I was riding on a day without much wind at all and pinpointed it to the windshield. If you hear the ticking, try putting your hand on the windshield. If that solves it, take it off and refasten it but stick some double sided tape between the windshield and the fairing. Hopefully that solves a lot of aggravation for you guys.

·
Registered
485 Posts
My does it as well.
It's like a dog scratching his neck with a metal coller on.
Or maybe not lol
;D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts