Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Throttle Play

695 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  SDRider 
#1 ·
Anyone know how much throttle play you're supposed to have? I feel like my throttle is a little loose and I am not as effectively rev matching because of this. I turn the throttle to where I expect it should be perfect but it's a little short once in awhile due to the throttle play.

I haven't had a chance to check the manual out recently but I believe I remember seeing 2-4mm of play in the throttle? How would one go about measuring this? Should I put a piece of tape on the grip and twist the play? Should the measurement be taken from the ends of my grip or the widest part?

I guess this should be common sense and it may be in the manual, but like I said I'm busy as hell with work so don't have time to peruse the pages. You guys will be saving me lots of time and stress. Appreciate it :).

#2 ·
I don't think it matters where you measure it.

I usually measure it just by feel. Adjusting it isn't hard, and can be done with those adjuster nuts right on the throttle cables near the brake reservoir.

I actually prefer a little bit of play. Revmatching shouldn't be affected too much by that, might just be a matter of getting used to it.

#4 ·
Yeah I need to adjust my TPS for sure. Again with the time issue :/. I think I'm sitting around 2800 rpms there. Maybe 3k. Either way it's a pain in the ass putting around my community with all the speed bumps...

I think it is more of a comfort thing with the play. I would prefer to have just a tad. As it is now I can twist my wrist a little bit sitting at stoplights without giving it any gas. I feel like if I have within the recommended it is at the max. I'll measure it tonight. Is there a section on this in the manual or should I just use my friend Google?

#5 ·
You only need enough play so that when you turn the bars from full lock to full lock, the revs don't increase because of too tight cables pulling on the linkage. I set mine as little as possible. The section should be in the front of the manual for routine maintenance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.