Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been meaning to post this for a while now...I have a 02 svs and I noticed that when I turn the throttle. The first 20 or 30 degrees of turning the throttle = nothing! after that it engages, the first 20-30deg of turn is like empty space for the plastic grip or something. Is there an easy and cheap way to fix this? I don't want to buy a new throttle grip or anything like that, but I was wondering if any of you have had this too on your stock svs??? Basically the first 20-30deg is empty turning, I'd rather have better throttle response the first deg that I turn it instead of going through that empty part. Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
It's supposed to do that. You're supposed to have maybe 5 - 10 degrees of freeplay. 10-20 may be too much. You can adjust it to your liking by tightening/loosening the nuts at the top of the throttle cable.
If that's at the end of it's adjustment, you can adjust it at the carbs, but it shouldn't be necessary to do that.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know i'm prob exaggerating the 10-20 deg...but yeah I'd like to get rid of that gap...so Check the throttle cable eh? Guess I gotta go dig into the service manual to see how to adjust it...thanks!

J

·
0 Posts
There are hard plastic tubes (about 1 1/2") coming out of the bottom of the throttle assembly. just loosen up the big nut and then lossen up the small one until the play is gone and retighten the big nut and your set

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is off the top of my head, but I believe there's supposed to be a 1/4" of free play in the throttle movement.

Dan

·
Registered
80 Posts
2-4 mm or 0.08-0.16 in

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whats the point in the gap? I find my self twisting through that too fast and then jerking the bike cuz it hits the throttle too hard :p Guess I'm just not used to it yet... I'd rather engage the throttle the minute i twist, so the amount of torque i supply is constant instead of accidentally hitting the throttle too hard.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
The gap is there fro when you are braking or just resting. If you pay attention to your throttle hand sometmes, you'll see your hand floats on that free play.

If you want to try it and see... go ahead... you'll see why the gap is there... he he he

N

·
0 Posts
As long as your throttle returns completely to the closed position, adjust the freeplay as you see fit. If you have so much freeplay that it is hard to be smooth, that's too much.

When I adjust cables on dual cable throttles (like the SV) I loosen them both, then tighten them an equal amount until they are close to correctly adjusted and then make the final adjustment on the "pull" or "open" side so that the tension is biased slightly to the closed position. Obviously, check for smooth operation and full release, but also turn the bars through their entire travel with the bike at idle. The idle speed should remain the same; if it doesn't the cable is too tight or pinched somewhere which could result in you getting a handful of throttle when you don't want it (i.e. during low-speed maneuvering).

:)

·
Registered
498 Posts
I turn the handlebars to full lock and adjust so that there is virtually no slack, then when you straighten out the bars there will be minimal so that at full lock you are not giving throttle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts