Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading two books now that basically say the same thing in throttle control I am a bit baffled and was wondering if any of you could explain it. The problem I'm having is the thought process behind it. Basically is what the books say is that you're suppose to roll off the throttle and roll on the breaks, but inverse of one another, ie. 30% throttle 70% brake etc. My problem with this is, would it be more time consuming to do this? My thought is, blast full throttle to the last milli-second then cut the throttle slam on the brakes and turn the mother in. This way you have full throttle till the last milli-second essentially going faster up to that point, making time slower. I do not understand the thinking behind the throttle/brake reostat type analogy, rolling off the throttle slowly, along with the brakes. I feel that I'm wrong but I can't explain it to myself for it to make sense, so I figured I'd post this question for you to help out.

The only thing I can come up with is that rolling off smoothly & slowly on the brakes/throttle doesn't upset the bike geometry all that much, but even so, woudln't there be a faster way to do such a thing to make your times drop.

Grav.

·
Registered
799 Posts
You've answered your own question. It has a lot to do with keeping the suspension stable and in it's optimal range. It's going to be more difficult to get your speed up faster being choppy with the throttle and brakes. (upsets geometry and suspension) Learn/practice the control and smoothness and the speed should come easier.

This is what I've learned through reading and some practice. (not necessarily all applied :p)

N

·
0 Posts
I think you've hit both ends of the question. Roll off the throttle and apply the brakes smoothly so as not to upset the chassis, and the less time you can spend doing this the faster your corner entry should be. Sounds simple right?

;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts