Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done this on a 2nd Gen?

I have new Throttle Cables, Clutch, and Brake lines showing up tomorrow (Monday) for my new Convertibars. Not finding any specific info in the Service Manual pertaining to Throttle Cable replacement, adjustment, etc., just routing schematics.

I recall hearing it's a bi-atch to make the change. I'm trying to prepare so the transition goes smoothly. Any suggestions on the issue would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yes, I replaced my throttle cables on my 05 and it was a pain. I would also recommend a long screwdriver to reach through the frame to loosen some of the clamps and a "headlight" or work light of some type to give yourself ample lighting for inside the frame.

You have to take off your airbox, undo all the electrical connections to the airbox. Some say you have to don't have to remove the throttle bodies, but I found it easier to do this.

I followed the below link for taking everything apart and it was very helpful. Good luck and let me know if you need anything.

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=72804

·
Registered
142 Posts
Remove the throttle bodies, it makes it ALOT easier. You only need to loosen the clamps and lift up to give you enough play (do not need to take them completely out). Once you see how the cables are connected its a piece of cake.

·
Registered
141 Posts
To get the throttle cables off and on the throttle bodies I actually moved the radiator. You only have to remove 2 bolts to drop it down, and the adjuster bolts for the throttle is on the bottom of the throttle body. You cane easily fit two wrenches in from the underside to loosen and tighten everything down.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To get the throttle cables off and on the throttle bodies I actually moved the radiator. You only have to remove 2 bolts to drop it down, and the adjuster bolts for the throttle is on the bottom of the throttle body. You cane easily fit two wrenches in from the underside to loosen and tighten everything down.
FTW!

The only way to fly.

Airbox up and back, Duct tape on left frame members to prevent scratching with tools, and radiator dropped down. The only tedious part was hooking the end of the cable and manipulating the stranded wire to get it through the little cut out.

Done deal!

Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I did just about the same as everyone mentioned above. You will love the convertibars. I know I do!

FYI: LUBE the cables before you install them.... I made that mistake and had the enjoyment of re-doing them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
You can get your hand crammed in there and use a long thin tool that can grab the cable just before the ferrule to guide it into the slot. I did this over and over and over when trying to replace my sv650 cables with gsxr cables. FYI they dont work though so dont bother with them. after the 3rd or 4th time I was getting good at it. If I were going to do it again I'd move everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts