Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new '07 (new to me) SVS vibrates like crazy. My fingers tingle after only 20 mins. My previous '02 SVS was 10 times smoother with 10 times as many miles.

Researching SVR I've come to the conclusion that my throttle bodies may be out of whack. The bike very likely did not receive the 600 mile tune up.

1st. Is this a likely culprit?
2nd. Is there someone near NYC that can help me set it correctly?
3rd. I can pay in beer...

·
Registered
304 Posts
i'm gonna be doing mine soon (not sure when though, next couple weeks) i've never done it before but i'm mechanically inclined and the procedure seems simple enough. you're welcome to join me.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i did the throttle body sync today after i got back from a baby shower. it's pretty easy to do if you follow the directions in the service manual. i made the vacuum balance tool that is described here.. http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp cost about $7 total. if you want, i'll be around late in the day next sat and prob next sunday.

now the bad (sorta) news...
my hands go numb all the time when i'm riding. i figured it was because the TB were out of adjustment and i had excess vibration. now my TB's were out of adjustment, but not by much and i have about 9k miles on my '07. so after i adjusted the throttle bodies some of the vibration went away, but not enough to make any difference in how fast my hands go numb. i'm just gonna chalk it up to geometry, my height and the way i sit, and the sv being a v-twin so it's gonna vibrate more then my old I-4's did anyway. oh well, i deal well with disappointment.

now you're more then welcome to come by next weekend and i'll help you with it. if you're thinking of trying it yourself, it's really easy. hardest part is getting the caps off and on the throttle bodies. either way, i doubt it's going to be the "night and day" difference you're hoping for.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
My right hand (thumb and forefinger) go numb on my 08 SVS after riding for a while. I have a tendency to put my weight on the bars - when I can remember not to do that, it's better. Lower RPMs help too. When I was at the dragon and running it pretty much constantly at 9K, my right thumb went numb no matter what.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@greek32: Glad to hear the adjustment went well! I'm out of town for a week or two but I'll ping you when I return if you don't mind. I was *really* hoping you'd tell me it's butter smooth now. :(
If it stays this bad I'll likely trade in the bike next year.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Big thanks to Greek32 for the help with the adjustments and the great ride around Warwick, NY! A real class act!

By the way. Maybe my throttle bodies were further out of whack than your average SV but the difference was significant and immediate. The vibration I was feeling in 3rd gear at 4K RMP was greater than what I now feel in 5th at 7500 RMP. Significant!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts