Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on this article, ya'll?

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,68769,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_3

He mentions a recent "accident" (don't you mean "crash" says MSF?) and mentions the vehicle in front of him just "stopped" and he didn't have enough time to stop... sounds like he doesn't know how to use both brakes or was following too damn closely if you ask me...

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Riding today is more dangerous than ever... there are 3 times more distractions than there were just 10 yrs ago(Cell phones, personal listening devices, and ...yes...TV/video devices/GPS for real morons) . You have to be inside thier cars, look thorugh thier windshields, and in thier empty heads to stay clear of trouble. As a moto messinger/delivery rder in the early 80s i learned to watch the driver, what they are doing, Body language, and key on the slight changes in angle of the front wheels of the vehicle for any "unexpected" lane changes or turns. Actually you should expect the worst all the time and constantly prepare for it, they will do it nearly every time. That is the key, If you come upon someone on a cell phone get past them ASAP, or just stay back. Same for Suburban mommies with the walt disney crap playing on the onboard TV, (she will be on the phone too, and holding the strbucks Latte with the other hand since none of them can figure out how to use an earbud). In my book the best defense is a good offense, ride away from them, get into your own open space ASAP. even if you have to pass them illegally, just get away for your own safety. today...you are more invisible than before, and unless you are on a harley or have race pipes, they wont be aware of your presence. Wear BIRGHT colored riding gear, reflective stuff at night and use high beams all the time. better to burn out those bulbs and get thier attention than get hit. But it will always be up to you to miss the "accident".they will only feel a bump and probably keep driving as oblivion prevails.

·
Registered
397 Posts
he has his points int he story. Whether or not he crashed because he did something wrong, you can't really blame him. Shiet like that happens, sometimes you really just don't have enough time to react. The first thing that goes through you mind is "OMGWTF IS SHE DOING I"M GONNA RUN INTO HER" after you get over that, then you can react...kills some time. I know i know, you really shouldn't do that, but hey anyone who's ever gone down in an emergency situation can tell you, that thought went through their head!!! which is why no matter how much experience you have on a bike, you can still go down. Drivers these days really do need to get slapped in the face when their driving though, i've had more then one occassion where someone on their cellphones would just get into my lane without looking forcing me to swerve around. Getting a driver's license is way too easy these days and should be made a lot harder not to mention make it easier to loose!!! ride like your invisible :-D

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
i have to disagree with the with the riding today being more dangerous than ever. granted there are more people on the road and we have devices like cell phones. but i remember my dad telling me stories of his friends getting shot at back in the 70's.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
As hard as this may be to believe, I find more drivers are more aware of motorcycles today than, say, 25 years ago, even with cell phones. Sheit may happen, but rear-ending someone is very hard to explain away. Cars or bikes, rear-enders are most often caused by following too closely. Following too closely together with cars with ABS makes a deadly combination for bikers, especially those who don't have really good brake control. I know lots of younguns who brag about their wheelie skills but can't ride a locked rear tire.

No matter what the conditions are (like "green light ahead") you can't ride through that car ahead of you.

·
Registered
270 Posts
all the soccer moms and needle dicked sportscars and giant truck drivers just read that and now everyone will pay more attention to the road and the surroundings, and not the screaming kids in the backseat or the slayer cd, or the indash navigation/dvd/playstation2/xbox360 crap...I feel alot better now that he put out the article that 500 thousand [email protected]#@$ers before him did...now we can all ride safe and save 200 dollars on msf...cuz now we can flop around on public roads while were learning how to ride and everybody will be o.k. because people are looking out for us...pheew, what a relief...the helmet companies are gonna be pissed though cuz we dont need them anymore.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
yah rear ends are almost always your fault. the only time i think i blame other people is in a scenario like that one. or the one time i almost dumped on the thruway because every one slammed on the brakes due to a state trooper. who i might add was out side of his car giving a trucker a ticket :mad: but yah it was still my fault but other people shouldn't be stupid!

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
"My choices: Dump the bike or visit her back seat."

Pathetic... He even admits that after he binned it, the bike stopped before it reached the car. In other words, if he'd had even elementary control of the bike it wouldn't have happened. I don't even think he was too close to the car- I think he just can't ride for s***. Bikes stop faster on 2 wheels than they do on their sides. So he wasn't paying attention, say the car stop "Cold", panicked, locked the front, and crashed for no good reason. A Shadow's no hard-braking machine either. 9though despite this, his stopping distance would still probably be less than most road users- if he could ride anyway) Claiming he made a decision and decided to crash is just... well, pathetic. No other word for it.

I think his actual point is solid with regards to phoning while driving, but in this case he's trying to pin the blame for his own total uselessness on someone else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts