Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How goes it all?
I have a 2001 sv 650s with about 9400 miles. Last weekend it sarted to act strange. When I go on a short ride it began to not want to start back up. Sounded like the battery was week. So I tested the r/r voltage at 14.4 and the battery was full charge. So I waited until monday morning started it up and drove it to work all week, everything seemed fine. This morning I started it again but when I got it to turn over, I turned the key off and the starter continued to to run. I also noticed rididng last night that when i hit my brakes the dash and headlights appeared to dim. Any ideas, I a totally stumped?

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
How goes it all?
I have a 2001 sv 650s with about 9400 miles. Last weekend it sarted to act strange. When I go on a short ride it began to not want to start back up. Sounded like the battery was week. So I tested the r/r voltage at 14.4 and the battery was full charge. So I waited until monday morning started it up and drove it to work all week, everything seemed fine. This morning I started it again but when I got it to turn over, I turned the key off and the starter continued to to run.
Sounds like your starter relay is going bad. The contact points get crapped up after a while, which can cause it to 1) turn over slowly or not at all as there is too much resistance to electrical flow, or 2) stick in the "on" position. Sounds like yours is doing both.

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
It's a sealed unit, you'll just have to replace the whole thing. They don't go bad all that often, you might be able to pick one up cheap at a motorcycle salvage yard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts