Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new-to-me 2000 SV650 is having the following issues. Does this sound like carburetor issues, and if so how should I start going about fixing? Is the start a basic teardown and cleanout of the carbs? Possible rejetting necessary? Or start with carb cleaning gas additive?

History: My guess is this bike sat for a long time (the radiator was disgusting and busted, tires from 2008). Also it has a D&D slip-on exhaust.

Behavior:

The bike starts and seems to run well at start. It pulls great at low-to-medium RPMs. Then at deceleration I get backfires. When RPMs go up to about 7k the power stops. Sometimes in the mid-to-high RPMs it feels like something misses and then catches (almost like I'm only getting power from 1 cylinder and the other one kicks on at times).

Haven't tried:

Haven't pulled the plugs yet to see if there's evidence of lean mixture. Haven't tried seeing if there's an airbox leak.

·
Super Moderator
6,844 Posts
Have you drained any old gas? Is the tank good inside?

Is the air filter in good condition and the snorkel clear?

It does sound like the Main jets could be plugged, but I would try some fresh gas and some Techron Concentrate (1oz per gal) first.

There are plenty other maintenance items that need to be done, and maybe new plugs, but give the simple stuff a shot first

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I did clean out the old gas. The air filter looks fair - just ordered a new one. Does the snorkel get clogged somehow? Will try Techron.

·
Super Moderator
6,844 Posts
Thanks. I did clean out the old gas. The air filter looks fair - just ordered a new one. Does the snorkel get clogged somehow? Will try Techron.
Not normally, but occasionally when a cycle has been sitting a while critters will move in. Sometimes they fill the airbox with food or pull enough stuff in to block the snorkel.

Not sure Techron will solve the problem, but it's something simple to do that cant hurt. I run a tank in all my vehicles once a year, after winter or storage.

Tank looked good inside?

Pulling and cleaning the carbs may be in your future. Let me know if you want a professional carb cleaning (soda blasting, ultrasonic cleaning, rebuilding) and I'll post some info on a good source.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll pull and clean the carbs. I just read the Clymer section on that and watched a couple videos - seems pretty doable.

·
Super Moderator
6,844 Posts
I'd try the simple stuff first.

It's really not that simple to do thoroughly unless you have all the proper equipment and know what to look for, but it certainly can be done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts